• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Discussion Twilight Amidst the Everlasting Darkness: Discussion

Yay, you're finally posting this publicly! ☺️Knowing what is to come makes me think this title is most appropriate to the RP. I'm curious on how you determined it.
I wish I could claim credit, but Tyelko here came up with our title! It's especially fitting considering how Lómion means "son of twilight."
 
I wish I could claim credit, but Tyelko here came up with our title! It's especially fitting considering how Lómion means "son of twilight."
Oh, I forgot about that bit! Knowing what his name means definitely adds significance to the title now, especially, as Glorfindel said, having knowledge of what’s to come. Great job with the title, Tyelko!

I’ll give more input in a bit when I’ve had more of a chance to fully read through this fanfic version of the RP.
 
Oh, I forgot about that bit! Knowing what his name means definitely adds significance to the title now, especially, as Glorfindel said, having knowledge of what’s to come. Great job with the title, Tyelko!
Yay, you're finally posting this publicly! ☺️Knowing what is to come makes me think this title is most appropriate to the RP. I'm curious on how you determined it.
I wish I could claim credit, but Tyelko here came up with our title! It's especially fitting considering how Lómion means "son of twilight."
Thank you. Thank you.
*Bows*
 
Well aren't you a little...well... sensitive?
*Insert Curvo like smirk*
Hey... I can do it better.
*helpfully provides an 100% Curvo smirk*

Jokes aside, I think this is an interesting beginning to the story. It flows quite seamlessly between the characters' perspectives. Maeglin hasn't said much yet, but from what I see so far, I like the way he's written. Looking forward to seeing where this alternate version of events will go.
 
Jokes aside, I think this is an interesting beginning to the story. It flows quite seamlessly between the characters' perspectives. Maeglin hasn't said much yet, but from what I see so far, I like the way he's written. Looking forward to seeing where this alternate version of events will go.
Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I worked pretty hard on smoothing the transitions between different characters because this was originally in RP format, so I'm very glad you felt it was seamless.
 
Just posted Chapter 3! I cut Chapter 3 in half because it was 4,000 words long, so you guys might be getting Chapter 4 (originally the second half of Chapter 3) sooner than later. Well, I guess Chapter 2 was also over 4,000 words, but since it was more of an exposition/backstory chapter, and Chapters 3 and 4 are getting into the action, it makes sense that C2 could be longer and C3 and C4 shorter.

We welcome your comments! Please let us know what you think!
 
I did not expect Eöl to show up so soon! What suspense... though I expect Maedhros' patience is up to the task of handling him. Though, unlike in the Silmarillion when Eöl meets Curufin, Aredhel and Maeglin are present here, so that will probably make a difference with how Eöl behaves.

I expect all the Elves have their own strong memory of where they were and what they were doing when the Sun rose for the first time. Unfortunately for some, the memory is not a pleasant one. Makes you think of the burden of immortality. Your memories are tied to changes in the world itself, and it is almost impossible to escape reminders of bad memories, especially as they pile up over the centuries. I suppose that's why in later ages, Elves did not concern themselves with the ever-changing troubles of mortals as much, and remained wrapped up in their own worlds.

Interesting to speculate on the relationship that could form between Maeglin and Celebrimbor or Curufin.

I wonder how Maeglin could have turned out differently if he lived outside Gondolin and had some contact with his wider family. For an ambitious young elf, the isolated Gondolin may not have been the best place to grow up, as there are definite limits to the role(s) you can fill in that society. If Maeglin had more opportunities to improve on and pursue his other talents, his outlook on life might change.
It seems that in the Silmarillion, Maeglin saw everything as a power play of some sort. He was far too interested in being 'the master'. Probably in no small part due to how Eöl acted and ran his household. If Maeglin and Aredhel escaped to live somewhere else in Beleriand, he would see there were many different chieftains of a variety of people. In Gondolin, like in Nan Elmoth, there was only one. And, well, you know what eventually happened.

I do feel a bit sorry for Maeglin so far in this story. So many ideas and desires of his own, yet not really any chance to speak his mind or carry them out, due to external circumstances constantly limiting the choices he is able to make.
 
Great analysis, @Server Room Gremlin ! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I did not expect Eöl to show up so soon!
He'll be full of surprises, too!

I expect all the Elves have their own strong memory of where they were and what they were doing when the Sun rose for the first time. Unfortunately for some, the memory is not a pleasant one. Makes you think of the burden of immortality. Your memories are tied to changes in the world itself, and it is almost impossible to escape reminders of bad memories, especially as they pile up over the centuries. I suppose that's why in later ages, Elves did not concern themselves with the ever-changing troubles of mortals as much, and remained wrapped up in their own worlds.
Mmm, yeah! It's bad enough for me as a 25 year old thinking back on cringey things I did when I was 12 or whatever. Imagine being an Elf in the Silmarillion and having hundreds of years of memories, not just cringey memories but horribly traumatic memories... it can maybe help us understand why the Elves did less-than-sane things.

I wonder how Maeglin could have turned out differently if he lived outside Gondolin and had some contact with his wider family. For an ambitious young elf, the isolated Gondolin may not have been the best place to grow up, as there are definite limits to the role(s) you can fill in that society. If Maeglin had more opportunities to improve on and pursue his other talents, his outlook on life might change.
It seems that in the Silmarillion, Maeglin saw everything as a power play of some sort. He was far too interested in being 'the master'. Probably in no small part due to how Eöl acted and ran his household. If Maeglin and Aredhel escaped to live somewhere else in Beleriand, he would see there were many different chieftains of a variety of people. In Gondolin, like in Nan Elmoth, there was only one. And, well, you know what eventually happened.
Yeah, I've really come to love his character thanks to this RP/fanfic! I hope you enjoy seeing how we develop his character as these events progress.
 
He'll be full of surprises, too!
Emoji Think GIF
 
Back
Top