• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

🐺Wargs in The Hobbit?

By that, it says just wolves. So, I might be wrong in thinking that those were Wargs. But in The Fellowship of the Ring, I believe Wargs were coming their direction when they were deciding on whether to go in Moria or not. Let me look for that...
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
The Hobbit: Chapter 6: Page 98
Version: Del Rey Paper Back
All of a sudden they heard a howl away fown hill, a long shuddering howl. It was answered by another away to the right and a good deal nearer to them; then by another not far away to the left. It was wolves howling at the moon, wolves gathering together!
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Anyways, I always thought those were Wargs until I was asked to look up the quote and found this. Here they are called Wolves every time but in The Fellowship of the Ring they are called Wargs every time. Does anyone know where it says they are Wargs in The Hobbit? What about the Battle of Five Armies... I think those might have been Wargs. If I find the quote, I'll post it on here.
 
But even the wild Wargs (for so the evil wolves of the Edge of the Wild were named) cannot climb trees.

The Wargs and the Goblins often helped one another in wicked deeds

Every now and then all the Wargs in the circle would answer their grey chief all together, and the dreadful clamour almost made the hobbit fall out of his pine-tree

All of these quotations are from Chapter 6 of The Hobbit. I'm using The Annotated Hobbit, and they agree with my Houghton Mifflin edition. It was indeed a pack of Wargs who attacked the company after their escape from the Goblins in the Misty Mountains.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top