• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Warning Point Expiration Dates

Originally posted by Idril
I think offenders should be allowed to get points off for good behavior over a given period. Not even in our respective societies do we treat criminals like that, they serve their sentences and it's over - (unless you're a lifer for murder, or a sex offender or live in Iraq - pre war). We are humans and we all make mistakes (especially the younger ones) - it's a learning curve and it's a fact of life. Where's the compassion, understanding and forgiveness within the forum?

I agree with most of what's been said. To err is human. To forgive - also.
 
A-umluated-u-le: It's because the software for the warning points isn't all that good. I'm going to take it--eventually--and recode it. You're in a different group of people, the C9, and the software only has permissions set up for normal users and mods.

Mike
 
Yikes! Creepy! I can't see the things, either. oh well. No big deal. Anyways, I'm afraid of the creepy talks about earning the right to get rid of little warning point thingys. Who gets to decide what behavior is good enough? just being neutral and posting in other people's threads and not being evil at all is a good thing. Or would they only get to lose the little things if they do something especially constructive? oh well. just wondering. I see no problem with letting people keep the things for life. The only time it would be a huge problem is when they suddenly get to the number where you're supposed to be banned. Right around then, I would think that it would make sense for some scary people in charge to knock a few things off.
 
I'm all for warning points being cleared out on a regular basis. Perhaps at the end of each month, or 30 days after points are given.
 
Oh good, poor Celebthôl thought he was going to be cursed for life with his warning point.

May I say, this Suggestion Box section is great! I'm sure other members would agree when I say, it's wonderful to see ideas and thoughts becoming reality:)

Hooray for the WM!
 
Woot for the WM indeed! :D
But hmm, perhaps 30 days is a little too short a period.. As Mormegil pointed out, the points are given for a reason, and the aim of the offender should be to rectify his 'habit' (or if it isn't a habit, just to not do it again! :D) and not to simply get rid of the Points.
Perhaps a few months or so (or even more), so that the person truly understands how he has erred.
:)
 
Yes, please go away evil warning points. I think I've had mine for like 4 months, and I've been a good munchkin, haven't I, WM, so can they go away and never return?!!!!
 
I think Warning Points are good, and discourage "bad behaviour". I do think they should expire, though. Say a person has gone 5 or 6 months without any points being gained, it would probably be safe to assume they were reformed, and could have them wiped, or a percentage of them, at least.
 
I aggre with Craig, they should go away within 5 months or so, which brings me to me correcting myself. It will be 5 months on the 6th. I still have the PM from 'ol Beorn...:D
 
Hmmm... Well I got a little out of hand when I first came here and got 12 warning points for it, and think that I've been a good little boy ever since. Not that I'd get too many more warning points, but that makes me look bad dude! I encourage the expiration. Perhaps a poll would be nescesary here?
 
You guys who have warning points are demonstrating exactly what they're for! :) You realize that you got out of hand, and ever since, you've behaved, which is a good thing. If the points went away too quickly, there would be no penalty, and therefore no lesson learned. I agree that warning points should eventually expire, but only after a period of something like 5 months.
 
Originally posted by BlackCaptain
Perhaps a poll would be nescesary here?
Not necessary as WM has agreed to the idea already (if you back up a bit:)), we are now just discussing the 'length' of the 'sentences'.

I agree, a month is way too short, perhaps, between 3 to 6 months, depending on severity and number of points of offence (and the member has not incurred any new points in that time). We can have a specific mod to oversee it if necessary if the system can't keep track it.
 
Ok, here's a basic, basic outline of a possible outline. ;)
Warning Point List

Personal Attacks : Moderate
As this ans the next two Warning Names are only for two points, I think a period of two months is acceptable.
Personal Attacks: Serious
These are often a result of getting carried away, and when people are angry they say all sorts of things (as the Cir-HT situation proved). But they are still wrong things to say, and as we are all mature people here I think we should be able to control ourselves. But sometimes if we cannot, warning points are issued. I suggest a period of five months for these points, because they can often be terribly offending and serious.
Inappropriate Behaviour: Serious
This is somewhat similar to the above, but is more rudeness than actual attack. I suggest the same period for this.
Spamming: Serious
I am glad to say that this Warning has lessened somewhat; but it is a rather serious offense, because it is one of the main reasons for the cluttering up of threads and sidetacking of topics. Four months for this one.
Personal Attacks: Severe
These are unacceptable. I suggest at least half a year.
Inappropriate Behaviour: Severe
If a member is truly immature, rude and thoughtless to receive these points, I think he or she should carry these points for half a year also.

The last two are instant bannings, and so don't really need to be commented. :rolleyes:

What do you think? Too severe/lenient?
 
perfect :) except the last two where they get to being severe should be held for a year not just 6 months ;)
 
Ok, here's my suggestion:

Every month you lose one warning point. The higher your points are, the longer it will take for you to work them off. If you continue to spam, make personal attacks, etc., your warning points will never decrease and people will be able to see that.

The other methods all seem kind of complicated. I think the mods might have a huge job cut out for them if we choose a complicated system. I do not think that it would be all that difficult to program this lose-1-a-month idea into the system . . . but then I wouldn't know. ;)

It just seems a lot less complicated.
 
Excellent idea Nenya, but maybe it can start after the second month - so if you have 1 point, you have to wait 2 months before it vanishes. This method should be easier to administer.
 
I would think that the easiest solution would be to have either an annual or biannual purge.

Say for example, every March 25th (Ring destruction day) we simply reset everyone to zero. Then perhaps do so again on November 1st (Shire Liberation day).

Since every case I can think of where someone has been banned due to points buildup, it has occured in two weeks or less; a semi-annual purge should not effect the general population.

Also, I'm sure that someone can come up with more senseable dates than those listed above. I was just spit-balling.


RD
 
Wouldn't that encourage rule-breaking a few weeks up to the biannual purge dates?
 
That thought occurred to me as well. Where as taking points of slowly allows for re-offenders to hangs on to points longer - does that make sense?
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top