In the Chamber of Records in Moria Pipin 'Drops his Stone' down the well and the Fellowship is soon attacked.
Gandalf asseses who they face.
For an instant the wizard looked out. Arrows whined and whistled down the corridor as he sprang back.
"There are orcs very many of them and some are large and evil; black Uruks of Mordor. For the moment they are hanging back, but there is something else there. A great cave troll, I think, or more than one. There is no hope of escape that way."
He only gets an INSTANTaneous look and THINKS the most logical evil to cause them to do that is a cave troll.
Later as they prepare to flee the chamber Gandalf says.
Do as I say swords are no more use here. GO!.....
Suddenly at the top of the stair there was a stab of white light. Then there was a dull rumble and then a heavy thud. The drum beats broke out wildly and then stopped. Gandalf came flying down the steps and fell to the ground in the midst of the company. "Well Well That's over said the wizard. I have done all I could and have nearly been destroyed. "
The rumble and the thud is inconclusive, could be a battering ram or it could be the Balrog assaulting the door. I can't believe a mere cave troll is the match of Gandalf especially as Merry kills a troll captain later in the ROTK. Surely only the Balrog is Gandalfs match
Later still in this chapter. "A Balrog muttered Gandalf Now I understand He faultered and Leaned Heavily on his staff. What an evil fortune and I am already weary."
Grond and Greenleaf methinks the movie interpretation has clouded your memory of the book. Sure in the movie it was a cave troll but in the book I believed it to be the balrog, that was involved in the assault. We'll see what others think.
I guess the most critical facet of my argument that I haven't got answers to is the description of what Frodo attacks( "with Dark skin of Greenish scales") is different to the later description of the Balrog, 'the dark figure streaming with fire'. I can't find a detailed description of what other trolls are like in the novel to contrast with these 2.
Gandalf asseses who they face.
For an instant the wizard looked out. Arrows whined and whistled down the corridor as he sprang back.
"There are orcs very many of them and some are large and evil; black Uruks of Mordor. For the moment they are hanging back, but there is something else there. A great cave troll, I think, or more than one. There is no hope of escape that way."
He only gets an INSTANTaneous look and THINKS the most logical evil to cause them to do that is a cave troll.
Later as they prepare to flee the chamber Gandalf says.
Do as I say swords are no more use here. GO!.....
Suddenly at the top of the stair there was a stab of white light. Then there was a dull rumble and then a heavy thud. The drum beats broke out wildly and then stopped. Gandalf came flying down the steps and fell to the ground in the midst of the company. "Well Well That's over said the wizard. I have done all I could and have nearly been destroyed. "
The rumble and the thud is inconclusive, could be a battering ram or it could be the Balrog assaulting the door. I can't believe a mere cave troll is the match of Gandalf especially as Merry kills a troll captain later in the ROTK. Surely only the Balrog is Gandalfs match
Later still in this chapter. "A Balrog muttered Gandalf Now I understand He faultered and Leaned Heavily on his staff. What an evil fortune and I am already weary."
Grond and Greenleaf methinks the movie interpretation has clouded your memory of the book. Sure in the movie it was a cave troll but in the book I believed it to be the balrog, that was involved in the assault. We'll see what others think.
I guess the most critical facet of my argument that I haven't got answers to is the description of what Frodo attacks( "with Dark skin of Greenish scales") is different to the later description of the Balrog, 'the dark figure streaming with fire'. I can't find a detailed description of what other trolls are like in the novel to contrast with these 2.
