• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Was Numenor based off of Atlantis?

"I say this about the 'heart', for I have what some might call an Atlantis complex. Possibly inherited, though my parents died too young for me to know such things about them, and too young to transfer such things by words. Inherited from me (I suppose) by one only of my children, though I did not know that about my son until recently, and he did not know it about me. I mean the terrible recurrent dream (beginning with memory) of the Great Wave, towering up, and coming in ineluctably over the trees and green fields. (I bequeathed it to Faramir.) I don't think I have had it since I wrote the 'Downfall of Númenor' as the last of the legends of the First and Second Age."
Letter 163
" Out of that came the 'missing link': the 'Downfall of Númenor', releasing some hidden 'complex'. For when Faramir speaks of his private vision of the Great Wave, he speaks for me. That vision and dream has been ever with me — and has been inherited (as I only discovered recently) by one of my children."
Letter 180
"Another ingredient, not before mentioned, also came into operation in my need to provide a great function for Strider-Aragorn. What I might call my Atlantis-haunting. This legend or myth or dim memory of some ancient history has always troubled me. In sleep I had the dreadful dream of the ineluctable Wave, either coming out of the quiet sea, or coming in towering over the green inlands. It still occurs occasionally, though now exorcized by writing about it. It always ends by surrender, and I awake gasping out of deep water. I used to draw it or write bad poems about it. When C. S. Lewis and I tossed up, and he was to write on space-travel and I on time-travel, I began an abortive book of time-travel of which the end was to be the presence of my hero in the drowning of Atlantis. This was to be called Númenor, the Land in the West."
Letter 257
"Lewis took no pan in 'research into Númenor'. N. is my personal alteration of the Atlantis myth and/or tradition, and accommodation of it to my general mythology. Of all the mythical or 'archetypal' images this is the one most deeply seated in my imagination, and for many years I had a recurrent Atlantis dream : the stupendous and ineluctable wave advancing from the Sea or over the land, sometimes dark, sometimes green and sunlit."
Letter 276
 
There do seem to be some similarities:

2.) Island Empires.
This is probably the most serious translation error that crept into the transmission of the events that ended the Bronze Age, recorded in Egypt which was on the periphery of the "action" of the time. Possibly picked up by Plato's several-times great-uncle Solon in the 6th century B.C., which material Plato had intended to incorporate into a three-volume work with the titles "Timaeus", "Critias" and "Hermocrates" in the 4th century B.C.. That the third volume was never written seems to consensus. "Critias" as it has come down to us is incomplete, it being unclear whether the missing part was lost or whether Plato abandoned the project, breaking off in mid-sentence. Plato's "Critias" is the only source for the whole "Atlantis" business, nowhere else is the name recorded in contemporary or earlier writings. And the only work of Plato's we know of that he started but never completed (Critias very likely, the "trilogy" almost certainly).
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top