• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Was Pippin a Fool?

Was Pippin a Fool?

  • No way!!! How could anyone call him a fool?

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • He had his moments.

    Votes: 19 76.0%
  • Pippin who?

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Yes, he was the most foolish Hobbit I've ever seen!

    Votes: 1 4.0%

  • Total voters
    25

Sarah

Wandering Hobbit
Joined
Aug 19, 2002
Messages
573
This was inspired by the post about Pippin being involuntarily wise. So, was Pippin a fool?
 
he was inexperienced, eager and blissfully ignorant; but no, not a fool. :)
 
Gandalf: "Fool Of A Took"
Although Gandalf said that a lot, I felt that he was rather fond of the young hobbit. Pippin's main weakness was his youth- he was just so damn curious. Sure, he did awaken the Moria orcs, and he used the palantir, but Gandalf later confessed that it was lucky that Pippin did do that, rather than Gandalf himself, since he was not ready for a confrontation with Sauron at that time.

So, overall I feel that Pippin was not foolish, just curious
 
"He had his moments," but then don't we all sometimes!

In the film FOTR, after Pippin does the dirty deed in Moria, don't you just love that look Aragorn swings Pippin's way?
 
Pippin wasn't a fool, he was just young and did lots of stuff without thinking firts. But everybody does that sometimes. And he did some pretty smart and brave things as well.
 
Every inch the fool and well deserving of his motley.
But foolishness in not always an evil, nor is all wisdom a virtue.

Contrast if you will the foolish wisdom of Pippin to the learned foolishness of Saruman. A pair of very strange beasts, which in all tongues are called fools.*

The more pity, that fools may not speak wisely what wise men do foolishly.**

RD

*As You Like It: Act 5 Scene2
**IBID: Act 1 Scene3
 
I think he was a little over zealous and curious at times, but as with most events and characters in the story, there was a purpose and destiny to MOST actions. Gandalf says to Frodo that Bilbo was meant to find the ring, and that Frodo was meant to receive it.

If Pippin hadn't roused the Moria Orcs, would the Balrog have not been stirred, thus halting the events that lead to Gandalf's "death"?
 
Originally posted by Lantarion
he was inexperienced, eager and blissfully ignorant; but no, not a fool. :)
I agree with you words Lant.,but at the same time I think he was not as smart as Frodo for example.
 
He had his moments...

There is no slander in an allowed fool, though he do nothing but rail...

RD's source1.5.92 or so...

I got to act that part... I do I know not what and fear to find, my eye to great a flatterer for my mind... Fate show they force, ourselves we do not owe,what is decreed must be, and be this so!

I loved that part. Olivia is one of the few people I can play convincingly.

Anyway, foolish in a young and over eager talks too much sort of way...

Imagine me in the Fellowship! Wouldn't half of us be just as bad?
 

Similar threads

Back
Top