• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Was Smaug hibernating for those 171 years?

Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
Yes he'd probably just give up.

Or the Valar may have been feeling hungry and decided to have a picnic. Tulkas would catch him, Orome would barbecue him, Manwe would say grace and Mandos would say something cheesy like:

"You are all doomed!"
 
Ulairi, keep this up and things will NOT go well for you in the RPG!
What's with the dragon-bashing? We Dragons are the most cunning, elegant, amd, yes....delightfully evil creatures in all of ME! Why would THEY in the West want to destroy Smaug? Just because he was descended from one of Melkor's creations? Spoil-sports!
 
They may be spoil-sports, but if the Valar felt threatened by Smaug, I personally think that they would turn him into dragon-sushi. :D
 
Oh, so they're just going to let Smaug fly into Valmar and slay their physical forms. Suuuuuurrrrrrre.
 
Originally posted by Ulairi
He wouldn't get very far as Valinor is outside the Circles of the World.

You said it yourself that he could never reach Valinor. He would just fly around the world to the other side. I'm sure he would be quite tired after that long a flight.
 
Originally posted by Gamil Zirak



You said it yourself that he could never reach Valinor. He would just fly around the world to the other side. I'm sure he would be quite tired after that long a flight.

I know I said that. Afterwards, Beleg and I were messing around hypothetically, chyro and Gamil, you took the hypothesis of Smaug being able to reach Valinor seriously and made deductions from it.

Originally posted by chyrosophalax
Rather a moot point then, wouldn't you say, Ulairi??

Nope.
 
I am watching David Attenborough's latest excellent series on reptiles and amphibians "Life in Cold Blood". This week was snakes, and the spectacle of a python swallowing an antelope. Attenborough commented that it would not have to eat again for another year.

So, I would speculate that Smaug did actually spend most of the time sleeping on his hoard. Remember that most of the people of Lake Town only half believed that the dragon was there at all. That would take a lot of non-activity over a lengthy period to bring about.
 
What exactly was Smaug doing in the roughly 171 years between taking over the Lonely Mountains and his death in Dale? Was he hybernating? Do dragons even do that? There really isn't much mention of him, and the people of Dale don't really acknowledge that he is still ransacking their town. Was he asleep from 2770 to 2941 (specifically from the day he ate his last Dwarve to the day Bilbo ventures into his chamber)? Is that what a dragons does? Takes over a mountain full of gold and then sleeps on it forever.


Personally, and I might be wrong..But it's always been my opinion that Smaug was hybernating. Again, it's been years since I've read all the books.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top