
Dragons. They had not stopped; since they were active in far later times, close to our own. Have I said anything to suggest the final ending of dragons? If so it should be altered. The only passage I can think of is Vol. I p. 70 : 'there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough'. But that implies, I think, that there are still dragons, if not of full primeval stature.
Originally posted by ssgrif
Ok, so we can assume that there were more dragons after Smaug, roaming the lands of Middle-Earth, but smaug was the last "famous" dragon The last who was written about.
Originally posted by Viceras Daydark
I could be mistaken, but this is what I am able to gather from what I have read (Though I can't recall exactly where I read it).
Smaug was the last dragon of his time, but not the last dragon. I may be in correct here, but I believe in the Withered Heath, there were many dragon eggs layed of which many had yet to hatch. Perhaps Grond can help here, as I have discussed this subject with him before.
Hope this helps
-Vicerasy Daydark