baragund
Brother in Arms
- Joined
- Mar 12, 2003
- Messages
- 1,315
Deconstructing the term 'were-worm' to it's roots of 'man-dragon' or 'man-serpent' certainly gives you an idea of what Tolkien was thinking about when he wrote it. Don't forget that languages was his thing and he wouldn't have used the term lightly.
I'm not aware of anything in Tolkien's writings that referred to a creature that was half man / half dragon, but perhaps the Middle-earth dragon's abilities to speak and reason gave them enough of a human quality to warrant the term 'were'.
As to location, I believe Bilbo is referring to the far east of Middle-earth. The land of Rhun or even beyond that.
I'm not aware of anything in Tolkien's writings that referred to a creature that was half man / half dragon, but perhaps the Middle-earth dragon's abilities to speak and reason gave them enough of a human quality to warrant the term 'were'.
As to location, I believe Bilbo is referring to the far east of Middle-earth. The land of Rhun or even beyond that.
