• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What does the writing on Narsil mean in plain English?

My friend could tell you in a second, but I don't remeber what he said it said. Sorry.
 
I really don't know what you mean, so I'll tell you what I think you mean:
On the movie sword there is tengwar on the Narsil:

My name is Narsil, a mighty sword;
Telchar made me in Nogrod

I hope that answers your quesiton
 
Yeah thanks, that's what I was wondering. I saw on the RotK poster (w/ Aragorn) that there was Tengwar on the handle. Glad I finally know...my curiosity was killing me,lol

Originally posted by Ledreanne313
I really don't know what you mean, so I'll tell you what I think you mean:
On the movie sword there is tengwar on the Narsil:

My name is Narsil, a mighty sword;
Telchar made me in Nogrod

I hope that answers your quesiton
 
Ah ha!

In the back of the Sil:

Nar = "fire"

sil = "shine (with white or silver light)"
 
Celebthol, I think you're sniffing up the wrong tree! ;)

He/she was asking what was writting on Narsil, not what Narsil meant. :)
 
BAH!! darn it, read it wrong :eek:

It was still written on Narsil...maybe...kinda...prolly not....*runs and hides*
 
hehe, it's okay. now I'm all the more educated. yay for me!
Originally posted by Celebthôl
BAH!! darn it, read it wrong :eek:

It was still written on Narsil...maybe...kinda...prolly not....*runs and hides*
 
Originally posted by Lomelinde
I'm a "she"...just for the record

Yes, thank you, I'm horrible at gender-guessing. I can't count how many times I've mistaken prominent people on this forum for a man/women, where they're actually vice versa! :eek:
 
eak! that's something I've done before...gender confusion. only it's worse when you do it in person. this lady got really mad at me once because I called her little girl a boy. woops! it's not MY fault tho! it was halloween and the child was dressed up in a very nuetral costume (a clown *shudder*)...so I took a wild stab and guess it was a boy. oh well, it's not like I'll ever see them again.
 
Originally posted by Lomelinde
eak! that's something I've done before...gender confusion. only it's worse when you do it in person. this lady got really mad at me once because I called her little girl a boy. woops! it's not MY fault tho! it was halloween and the child was dressed up in a very nuetral costume (a clown *shudder*)...so I took a wild stab and guess it was a boy. oh well, it's not like I'll ever see them again.

HAHAHA :D:D:D

Hate it when that happens :p
 

Today's events

Back
Top