• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

What unpretty 🧝Galadriel!

Kira as Eowyn? That would've worked I liked Miranda a lot as Eowyn, but my only complaint was that she was too skinny. Personally, I just don't like the appearance of stick-skinny actresses.

Cate is, yes, unpretty. Certainly not ugly at all, but not a looker, either. Again, just too thin and waifish. Her acting was spot-on, though - my biggest complaint was that she was apparently directed to speak as if she were on LSD most of the time. What was with that?

Liv did a great job, and looked pretty good doing it. Her portrayal of Arwen was very unconventional, due to how it was written. But the horsewoman who rode for her during the Flight to the Ford was quite an eye-catcher
 
Mike said:
(It's not Pamela Anderson. Imagine that casting. *Shiver*)


You think Pamela Anderson would be bad, heck, think Paris Hilton or Jessica Simpson *Goosebumps*

Anyway, I think Kate Blanchette (Spelled Right?) fitted the role perfectly. She had that "Elven beauty" that was discribed in the books. Also, when I saw the movie, I sensed that aura of power that the elves had described in LOTR.

But Liv Tyler on the other hand wasn't such a good cast. That whole elvish beauty and grace thing, well, it was gone. In fact, if I had seen the movie first and than read the books, I wouldn't believe that Galadriel and Arwen were related.
 
I thought Blanchette was an excellent Galadriel. A typical American/Hollywood beauty would not be right for an elf IMHO. I see them as more exotic, beautiful in a higher way. Perhaps something that is intriguing at first and grows more and more beautiful before one's eyes. I especially liked the look of her temptation scene.
 


HURRAY FOR A SENSIBLE MAN!!

I didn't know your kind still exist on this planet. YOu are an endangered species, my friend, you should have a guard at your side!
 
Narya said:
HURRAY FOR A SENSIBLE MAN!!

I didn't know your kind still exist on this planet. YOu are an endangered species, my friend, you should have a guard at your side!

MOST women are beautiful, just as most guys are handsome. When it comes to inner beauty, many of us shine like a star, but there are always the bad types with the funked up, messed up, or just plain wrong personality.

Jessica Simpson had a similar philosophy; that we were all beatiful, regardless of shape or size. Unfortuanately, people took her much to seriously. Although many girls and women around the world respect her ideals, some think of it as an excuse that being unactive and gaining the kilo's still means you can beautiful. That's simply wrong. Although most women have an inner beauty, it isn't an excuse to neglect your body and be lazy.
 
Cate Blanchett had the perfect personality/voice/attitude/eyes for Galadriel though she could have been better looking, i mean in the book Galadriel is described as a shining star, one of hte last of the Noldor in Middle Earth who had been to hte West and come back.

Arwen-Live Tyler was good looking enough, only thing is that her character was to soft, as in she wasn't stern enough as a character.
 
Few mortals were blessed with a beauty like the Eldar. In the First Age, Morwen was famed for her beauty, and Andreth stole the heart of Aegnor brother of Finrod Felagund: she must have been beautiful indeed! Perhaps the great beauties of Númenor could compare with the Eldar. You are asking the impossible of one another.
 
Alcuin said:
Perhaps the great beauties of Númenor could compare with the Eldar.
I agree; apparently, the numenoreans initially knew no sickness, had the light of stars in their eyes, were taller than all the other mannish races, and "grew wise and glorious, and in all things more like to the Firstborn than any other of the kindreds of Men".
 
I agree - Numenorean folk could certainly come close to the fairness of the Eldar, based on JRR's descrptions. Other humans would fall noticeably short, no matter how beautiful they were.
 
You know, not to be unkind, but for years we've been calling Galadriel 'A nose on a stick'.

Big nose, too tall, no curves......

(we stole it from Peter Townsend).

Kim Basenger would've been a better choice in my opinion.
Good looking & ageless at that time.
 
I don't find Cate Blanchett to be "ugly" but neither do I find her to be particularly elf-like so I wasn't crazy about her casting. Off the top of my head, though, I can't think of a modern actress who would replace her adequately. Modern actresses are, simply put, too SKINNY. Galadriel would've had an Elven grace, but I always saw her as a matriarchal figure, slightly rounder, like one of those ladies in the Romantic style paintings.

There is thin beauty and there is round beauty but for some reason I always saw Galadriel as a round and Arwen as a thin. If I could pick anybody for Arwen it would've been a young Elizabeth Taylor rather than a Liv Tyler . . . though I'm not completely dissatisfied with Liv Tyler . . . though she made it all too apparent in several scenes that Elves don't wear corsets.
 
Cate was perfect for the role. I personally can’t think of anyone who would have been more suited for the role as the ancient Elf. And “unpretty”….huh? High standards indeed; wow. I thought she was unbelievably hot. I'm with Gimli.

Now that I think about it, I can’t think of anyone in the films that was miscast; though I only saw them once (loved them, but prefer the book).
 

Oh my. Elrond, Celeborn, Denethor and Frodo for starters.

Sam, Faramir, Boromir, Gandalf and Saruman were cast very well for their parts. The script and character changes that were forced upon them, however, is another story.
 

Eh, well I thought the movies were great. I don't bother getting wrapped up in that purist nonsense. I'm too old to fret about pompous superfluous drivel (for this reason seeing Cate as being hot ....she's younger than me). I’ve read the book probably 10-15 times over decades and the movies didn’t take away anything for me; in fact they rekindled my interest again (even though I prefer reading the book over watching the movies, though I must say; I am yearning to see them again). Elijah Wood was perfect for Frodo, though I thought his character (at times) was a little misinterpreted (but again, saw the Trilogy only once). They had to do some character adjustments anyway, or each movie would have been 20 hours long. At any rate, I’ve always been a "First Age" guy anyway. Dats when the real **** went down....mmm hmm!


PS - Asterisks intentionally and conscientiously inserted by me (as I always do)
 
Last edited:
by The Prince
You still felt like you were in Middle Earth with Agent Smith in Rivendell?

Ha! I didn’t catch that one before; that’s really good. I can picture Frodo meeting Elrond at Rivendell for the first time, and Elrond’s first words are; MR. ANDERSON! Also, I just watched the EE of the Trilogy back to back last week and I still think Cate is hot . And I must add; that Minas Morgul scene was absolutely incredible. Best scene in the Trilogy by far (even though Mr. Morgul is on the wrong steed). I must have repeated the scene 15 times before I allowed the movie to proceed. For some reason, I thought that scene was cut the first time I saw the movies (maybe it’s only in the EE), this is only the second time I’ve seen the movies in their entirety, and first time on a fairly huge HD widescreen (the evil "Best Buy" finally ensnared me).
 

NOW HERE IS A MAN OF WISDOM.

Someone should build a monument for you with those words engraved in GOLD!

Love you for saying this.


As for the topic of whether Blanchett was a good Galadriel or not in terms of physical appearance, she was enough. It was her portrayal of the character that really mattered, and I think she pulled that off quite nicely.
 
That cat looks like a Balinese and Cornish Rex combo.
 
To be honest I'm having a hard time thinking of a Hollywood or otherwise stunner who would have carried off the powerful screen presence of Blanchett, any suggestions? I think the problem is if you went for stunning beauty you'd lose out; I'd be too busy admiring the actresses looks I think, to take note of the performance.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…