jallan
Member
- Joined
- Jan 9, 2003
- Messages
- 630
Khôr’nagan posted:
So many of Tolkien’s invented names and words have some similarity to real-life words. How could they not have?
Do an experiment.
Invent a word. Search for it in Google. You may be surprised to find how often the exact word you invented appears.
Of course the shorter the word the more likely it will appear already created.
Trying the plumb the source of an author’s imagination in such matters is futile when the author himself will likely often not know the source of his or her imaginings.
Does Amon Hen mean Supreme-Egyptian-God of the Chicken?
Certainly for example Tolkien was not thinking of the fish tuna when he invented the name Túna. Unfortunately I cannot help thinking of it every time I encounter the name.
But this is really a dead end.So, although it doesn't come close to proving it, I think that does give at least a little evidence that Tolkien might have named him from the original Legatus.
So many of Tolkien’s invented names and words have some similarity to real-life words. How could they not have?
Do an experiment.
Invent a word. Search for it in Google. You may be surprised to find how often the exact word you invented appears.
Of course the shorter the word the more likely it will appear already created.
Trying the plumb the source of an author’s imagination in such matters is futile when the author himself will likely often not know the source of his or her imaginings.
Does Amon Hen mean Supreme-Egyptian-God of the Chicken?
Certainly for example Tolkien was not thinking of the fish tuna when he invented the name Túna. Unfortunately I cannot help thinking of it every time I encounter the name.

