• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Which way's 🌋Mordor?

FoolOfATook

I'm Still Alive...
Joined
Dec 17, 2002
Messages
1,091
I'm sure that someone has already picked up on this, but in the Extended FOTR DVD, when the Fellowship is leaving Rivendell, Gandalf insists that the Ringbearer lead the way. Frodo leads the group out of the gates of Rivendell, only to be immediately presented with a choice of two roads. Frodo whispers to Gandalf- "Which way is Mordor?", and Gandalf whispers back to him "left". Quite an appropriate answer, for such a sinister place.
 
when Gandalf said "left", i didnt think that Gandalf meant Mordor was to the left, maybe going left was to exit Rivendell and going right might lead to a diffrent part of Rivendell. i dunno... :eek:
 
I'm confused. Do you mean they didn't say "right" because Mordor isn't "right" as in "correct"? Otherwise, I don't think it's a very controversial topic.
 
I think FoolofaTook is just appreciating the fact that Mordor is to the left, left meaning 'sinister' in latin.
 
Originally posted by FoolOfATook
I'm sure that someone has already picked up on this....
Gandalf whispers back to him "left". Quite an appropriate answer, for such a sinister place.
Yes, they have, but not for your Latinist's reason!
It's such a silly thing for poor Frodo to be forced to say, such an anti-climax to the otherwise well portrayed departure scene. He's not an idiot; he would have at least known which way they were going.
 
At this point Frodo is still pretty much a hobbit from the Shire, embarking upon a journey he can't yet really understand. He is not one of the Wise and Great like Gandalf or Elrond. I don't think he necessarily has a great understanding of the geography of Middle Earth.

But I do agree that the scene is a bit simplistic, and clearly intended to get an audience response such as 'aww - how cute'. The point could have been made in a more subtle way.

fG
 
In the books Frodo has studied maps while he was in Rivendell, so he should be able to say if Mordor was left or right. Maybe that's why some people object to this scene? I liked it actually, for the same reasons FG mentions.
 
Originally posted by faded_Glory I don't think he necessarily has a great understanding of the geography of Middle Earth.
But I do agree that the scene is a bit simplistic, and clearly intended to get an audience response such as 'aww - how cute'.
It doesn't take all that great an understanding to know what's left and what's right.
It's only F's stupid question that's simplistic; the scene would be brilliant otherwise.
"Clearly" is the right word though: PJ can't resist throwing a crumb like that every now and again to his audience that he seems to think is so dumb.
 
PRH is right- the word sinister is derived from the Latin for left-handed, and therefore it's appropriate that Mordor, the most sinister place in Middle Earth, is to the left. That's my entire point. I should have guessed that this simple point would have turned into another round of (in my opinion quite undeserved) Peter Jackson bashing.
 

Today's events

Back
Top