Their are no quotes in the Letters, I had already checked before I posted... nor in any of the texts of HoMe that I could find. (but I could have missed something)Originally posted by Lantarion
...Another theory, though, is that the Ring was 'commanding' it. As we have seen, the Ring does seem to have a sort of 'will' of its own. At least it can be said that it has a strange knack for attracting evil/greedy/weak-minded/proud things or people to it (Cf. Nazgûl, Boromir). So perhaps the rock thrown by Boromir (it was Boromir, wasn't it?) was of no importance, but the Ring perhaps found a chance, so to speak, to attract the creature towards the Company so that it could reallocate itself (ie. get lost) again. Perhaps an extra option could be added to the poll?
I don't find it clear that the Balrog was not a servant of Sauron. It may had been left there to hold the dwarves outside Moria and thus hinder any endeavor to pass through it. Also, Shelob's existence was known to Sauron and he left it at Cirith Ungol as a guardian. I don't say that they were completely under Sauron's sevice, but they definitely served his plan and he let them be for this reason. But eventually whatever they did was in favor of Sauron.
Not to be a spoil sport, but if I had a powerful Balrog and a powerful descendant of Ungoliant under my control.... they would have been leading my armies.Originally posted by gate7ole
I don't find it clear that the Balrog was not a servant of Sauron. It may had been left there to hold the dwarves outside Moria and thus hinder any endeavor to pass through it. Also, Shelob's existence was known to Sauron and he left it at Cirith Ungol as a guardian. I don't say that they were completely under Sauron's sevice, but they definitely served his plan and he let them be for this reason. But eventually whatever they did was in favor of Sauron.
I have no idea! It just came... and it still intruiges me. What if????? Another answer could be that it was almost 1:00 in the morning....Yea, pity that, and what I still want to know is where the heck did it come from!
Since I doubt that Saruman would have been interested in the Dwarves trying to regain Moria at that time the damming of the gate-stream and the apperance of the 'Watcher' would be down to either the Balrog or the Orcs blocking the escape of their enemies.Then there are four lines smeared so that I can only read went 5 days ago. The last lines run the pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin. We cannot get out. The end comes, and then drums, drums in the deep. I wonder what that means. The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming. There is nothing more.' Gandalf paused and stood in silent thought.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?