from Gothmog
while I agree with you that Bucky did 'Nail it'. I would not go so far as to say that "Morgoth made it, it serves him alone." In fact I would say that even Morgoth did not know about it.
In my view, a better expanation would be that 'The Watcher' was a creature that came about due to the 'Clash of Music' during Melkor's rebelion in the Ainulindale. Things would have come out of that Battle that not even Eru himself foresaw.
by YayGollum
Or it could just mean that Sauron wasn't there at the beginning of time. Ainur can have children, and I don't remember reading that Sauron was one of the first Ainur to be poofed into being. Closer to most people's unfounded viewpoints, was anything written that said that all Ainur were poofed into being at the same time? Eru could have had really long and gradual brainstorming sessions. Or you could go with the less sensible idea of certain spirits having older natures. Older maturity-wise? Mayhaps?
from Bucky
Could be The Watcher came about then & Gandalf simply means "older than he" (Sauron) in respect to Sauron coming to Middle-earth.
by Thorin
In looking at all the discussion on this thread, I find it funny that so many seem so confused by the Watcher.
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?