• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who controls the Watcher in the Water?

Who controls the Watcher in the water?

  • Saruman

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Sauron

    Votes: 5 8.2%
  • The Balrog

    Votes: 2 3.3%
  • the Watcher itself

    Votes: 53 86.9%

  • Total voters
    61
Very interesting, @Lobelia B. S-B.
Since the beast has 'crept or been driven' out, Ent wonders if there was in fact 'purpose' behind the driving of that 'creeping' or if driven by the balrog, why.

Could the Orcs have driven it out? Certainly the Dwarves didn't... it wasn't known in their time. And its unlikely the Orcs went as deep as the Dwarves, as their motivation for being there wasn't the same. They weren't 'delvers.' Just 'opportunists' for the most part, Ent thinks.

Could it be the Balrog drove it to protect the back gate, just so te Balrog didn't worry about it? Certainly it may have felt a need to protect itself from unwanted usurpers of the evil Orcs' hold on Khazad-dûm.

Why would it come up into the light? (Pondering, pondering, pondering.)
 
hmmm, but you got bag end before Frodo left the shire.
 
Ah, right you are. I must be getting older..! I got it before he left on that silly adventure, only to have it taken away again by those ruffians. But it all worked out in the end as I recall. (Though I'm still missing several umbrellas and a drawer full of spoons. I''m very suspicious.)
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…