• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who erected the grand statues known as the Argonath and why?

Éomond

Rider of Rohan
Joined
Aug 26, 2002
Messages
881
If I think that's what they're called (the two status[sp.] of Isildur and Elendil that the Fellowship rides past to Amon Hen/Falls of Rauros)
So, my question is: Who made them and Why were they built? I'm not really sure why. And I think Men made them?
 
They were warning people not to go over the falls in a barrel.... basically.
 
Pretty large warning signs huh? Don't think the Germans would collect them as they dio with moosewarning signs in Sweden though!

Húrin Thalion
 
I think they were just meant to look good and to tell anywone who wouldn't know yet 'Gondor is great! admire it!'
 
Originally posted by HLGStrider
They were warning people not to go over the falls in a barrel.... basically.


that's really funny to me because i live somewhat near niagra falls, and they actually have barrel ride simulators or something along those lines
 
Oh yes, Anarion, I remeber him now:D
I think the statues could have also show the power the Gondor.
Thanks everyone for the help!
 
From Appendix A, RoTK, part iv, Gondor and the Heirs of Anarion:

"Minalcar therefore in 1248 led out a great force, and between Rhovanion and the Inland Sea he defeated a large army of the Easterlings and destroyed all their camps and settlements east of the Sea. He then took the name of Romendacil.

On his return Romendacil fortified the west shore of Anduin as far as the inflow of the Limlight, and forbade any stranger to pass down the River beyond the Emyn Muil. He it was that built the pillars of the Argonath at the entrance to Nen Hithoel."
 

Similar threads

Back
Top