How
Legolas, a
Sindarin Elf of
Thranduil's
realm, gained the knowledge to build a ship that could take the Straight Road to Tol Erresëa and
Valinor, is puzzling ...
After Legolas was "struck" by the Sea (
Galadriel's warning), he started studying
Also stated in Foster of course.
Robert Foster indeed writ [A Guide To Middle-Earth]:
"It is said that Círdan remained in Middle-earth until the sailing of the last white ship sometime in the Fourth Age."
But I still say (meaning, in my opinion) this bearded Elf sailed September 29, 1421,
Shire Reckoning.
But I read this in SIL "Of the Rings fo Power and
the Third Age:"
Indeedy!
"White was that ship and long was it a-building, and long it awaited the end of which Círdan had spoken.
I note too, the last two sentences before this sentence [in other words, the last two sentences of the previous paragraph], in which Círdan states:
"But as for me, my heart is with the sea, and I will dwell by the Grey Shores, guarding the Havens until the last ship sails. Then I shall await thee." [new paragraph] "White was that ship and long was it a-building. . . "
It seems to me that "
that ship" refers to the previous "last ship", and so, this might not be literally the last ship [Legolas for example], but rather a fitting reference to a notable, historic ship leaving Middle-earth, considering who was on it.
I do like the idea of Círdan staying until a literal last ship, but I also find the other idea [if it works]
to be a fitting "bookmark" so to speak, for this character. In
Círdan [Last Writings, POME] it's noted that his name
"describes his later functions in the history of the First Three Ages, . . ."
I'm not going to push "Three Ages" strongly there, but in any case, the text also relates that, by searching for Elwe, Círdan
"forfeited the fulfilment of his greatest desire: to see the Blessed Realm and find there again Olwe and his nearest kin."
Here Kírdan even kries out that he will sail West:
"alone if none will come with me, for the ship that I have been building is now almost ready." Of course he receives a message (in his heart), warning him of this peril, and to abide. And he saw
"in a vision maybe" a ship -- a foretelling of
Earendil's ship (here Círdan was involved with its building), and from that night onwards,
the Shipwright (I didn't wanna say Círdan again) received foresight touching all matters of importance, beyond the measure of all other
Elves upon Middle-earth.
And much later when
Gandalf arrives, the Elda surrenders
Narya,
"For Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth" and he welcomed the Wizard (I didn't wanna write Gandalf again)
"knowing whence he came and wither he would return." Appendix B
Focusing on the return:
"But as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the Grey Shores until the last ship sails. I will await you." Appendix B, The Return of the King [
Tolkien using almost the exact same wording as quoted above from
Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age].
Does this prove beyond a doubt that Círdan awaited Gandalf to sail, with
the old Elf, at last, looking toward the West with that great desire? No. But I think Tolkien wanted to have both ideas in play: again, a literal last ship, and Círdan's last great work of art in Middle-earth.
But if I was forced to pick which is "true"
