The mentioned Mr. Bombadillodillo has not been very...actively participant in these forums, that I have noticed anyway. So I'm sure it's alright.

That is a good explanation,
Gandalf 'messing up'. As unlikely as it seems, I suppose the greatest
Istar of all the five might mess up now and again.
It is impossible to say what
Tom is exactly, but judging by his own words (which might be exaggerated, to entertain his guests), being around before the
trees and therefore before
Fangorn, it would seem that he was a secret
Vala or
Maia sent to overlook the creation of
Arda. Hey, that's not a bad idea! Go me! But anyway, if Tom was around only moments prior to the creation of Arda there would have only been void and space. A Maia or Vala would undoubtedly be able to exist in such an environment.. But I seem to remember from
the Silmarillion that when Arda was created all the lands were filled with grass, trees,
rivers,
mountains, etc. almost simultaneously. So Tom wouldn't have been alone for long, and maybe
Melkor did not observe him when he advanced onto Arda in his wrath.
Tom Bombadil, the Maia of Reassurance.
