I'd say
Uglúk by far. He appeared as a trusted
Uruk-hai Captain of
Saruman—
while I personally dislike Saruman (too much in-common, I suppose?), I have to give credit where credit is due; he made a great job with his Uruk-hai breeding program. 😆
Uglúk appears as a very competent, intelligent, and responsible leader who respects his Master, his orders, and the duty he carries. It is not easy to be in a leadership position, especially not among beings as primal and vile as
orcs—while Uruk-hai are generally more disciplined, the life they live and are known for differs greatly from that of humans, so controlling them must be quite a challenge regardless, and orcs falls on the same page—
or maybe not, if you’re used to getting a few heads rolling for the sake of discipline and some lingering peace. 🤭
Not only that, but he also took care of the
Halflings, and it’s thanks to him that they survived the encounter. I also enjoyed his way of speaking and his personality and humour in general. Just
impressive, coming from such a brutish being like his kind.
‘You’ll run with me behind you,’ said Uglúk.
‘Run! Or you’ll never see your beloved holes again. By the White Hand! What’s the use of sending out mountain-maggots on a trip, only half trained. Run, curse you! Run while night lasts!’
I mean, poor guy! This eerily reminds me of when I get incompetent coworkers or users who struggle with reading and understanding basic instructions. I feel you, boss—I feel you! 🥴 Anyway…
I really need to get my
Lord of the Rings trilogy back, as it’s been years since I last read the
books, and my memory is terribly hazy. I’m sure it’ll be a pleasure to re-read the chapters, because, as far as I remember, there was a lot more discussion, banter, and general interaction between orcs and Uruk-hai in those particular chapters on the pages compared to the movies, and
I just can’t get enough of these guys!
Oh, and let's not forget about
Shagrat, my second favourite! I've felt so bad for him—
Sauron did him dirty I say. His discussion with Gorbag was a very memorable one.
Once I finally get my hands on my new books, I’ll probably gather a handful of my favorite lines from the orcs!