• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who Is Your Favorite 🧌Orc?

Favorite Orc?

  • Uglûk

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Grishnâkh

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Shagrat

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Gorbag

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Snaga

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Lurtz (Movie name for orc who killed Boromir)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other

    Votes: 6 23.1%

  • Total voters
    26
Until this came along:
View attachment 46375
And we wondered what new abomination of Sauron was assaulting our eyes and ears. 😳
Look at 'em walking globs. 🥺

Actually, I was scrolling through some of my older notes and came along few shots of some orcs from the Amazon series. I overall despise it for many many reasons, but---my me, some orcs are quite hot. 🔥🥩

tumblr_154788ef3f56b3b4a746c90de9247ebb_3fe1ad99_2048.jpg
tumblr_e39ab01a4ac7b1a8387215ed3e8232b5_5e732275_2048.jpg
tumblr_0d7c6711e046002e9622152c60cbc4c5_c10d227f_2048.jpg

Like, look at them. Can I have them if Sauron don't need them anymore, please? Of course, not even close to the ones in the trilogy, but still...orcs.

Tough times. Tough times.
 
I don't get it. I've seen this guy only on pictures. It's said he's from LOTR: The Fellowship of the Rings (and surely enough he is, that's for sure), but I can't recall a single scene where he appeared. Can anyone even remember? Any clues? I need to know. It's um, for homework.

ce683cb0863e5938362a870333b19b7b.jpg
30f18f79a4f7235a1a5bf1890c75bae5.jpg
18595371a9b1d0004dc866c57a863a88.jpg
 
I don't recall ever seeing his ugly mug in any of the films.
He might have been left on the cutting room floor....
But outtakes are, well, still out there (even if no longer in the released version, even the extended versions).
Someone may have gotten a hold of a few. Or they were PR pics that were never used.
 
He might have been left on the cutting room floor....
But outtakes are, well, still out there (even if no longer in the released version, even the extended versions).
Someone may have gotten a hold of a few. Or they were PR pics that were never used.
This must be the case, because we got other shots of orcs that never made it to the films, yet still remained quite popular as a photo, and even used as a reference on related topics, floating around. A shame. The guy above is so-so handsome (sorry, our eyesight is not the same, @Vorondil, but I reassure you, I got my glasses on), and those teeth... heck... makes my brain into thinking; they could do wonders - with an inevitable, serious infection if got to live an another day. 🙄

Okay, let me put myself together. So... One of those shots for example. I even remember seeing the scene recorded. In the books we got to see more Moria orcs (in the mines as well, not just the chase afterwards). Not fair. They are such an eye candy.

010_a7a12335_268-e1633407816984-1024x576.jpg

Good thing we can't see my favourite among this bunch back from the mines, because they all died. Cruel world. That's because Mommy Saint is not there to take care of them, and ugly humans and elfs are not punished for it. Sad. Tragic.

Another popular shot I see often is of these fellows. They also from The Fellowship of the Ring, but never make it. Man. Where do I sign up to Saruman's cross-breeding program. The movies captured them so-so-so amazingly. Especially the one in the back. The big one. Wowzies. :eek::oops:

1768917130379.png

​
Sorry. I blame my neurons. Anyways. They deserve at least this much love, even if focused, coming from a very scarce source.
 
I was completely fine with Tolkien's ways of seeing orcs too and still finding them appealing. Don't believe I'm redeemable from under their influence. I'm not. If anything, how the book represented them intellectually and culturally, it was a huge bonus; something the movie is lacking.
 
I was referring to their physical features, but yes, those too.
Oh, I'm aware. You meant these:
In Letter 210, written in June 1958, Tolkien describes Orcs as “... squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types” ((Letters 274)
A huge orc-chieftain, almost man-high […] his broad flat face was swart, his eyes were like coals, and his tongue was red
There were four goblin-soldiers of greater stature, swart, slant-eyed with thick legs and large hands.
Yes, they are my type of guys. 👏😇
 
Those are from the Hobbit. more specifically the Desolation of Smaug.
Yes, those specific ones are from The Hobbit. But what I meant is that I can't remember them appear in their respective movie besides on photos either, just like the green glob from LOTR, or the Moria goblins on the popular shots. Or else, by now I'd have a screenshots from the movie of that handsome fellon there.

1768932440455.png
ezgif-8a87a09980e78932.jpg

Actually, reading the description of orcs by Tolkien, he's kinda fit into the mold, besides the height.
Still much taller than the orcs in the books, but face-wise, he is quite close. No wonder why he is outstandingly handsome, right?
He fit into the orc beauty standards, huehue. 🥰🍖​

Also can't recall him, but he's also from The Hobbit. Or maybe my mind is super foggy and I should start re-watching the movies one by one again.

1768932320614.png
 
He is also in the Hobbit but I think he might only been seen in the extended edition of The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies.
Funny, because my YouTube just recommended an one hour long video of scenes that never made it into the movie. In it they said this glob meant to be Azog originally, but they changed it and he got a different 'name' and role, although, I can't recall if we seen him for too long. It appears they had many real orc costumes and make ups for photo shooting, but no orcs has been 'real' in the movie, which is sad.

And now I just got this scene recommended too. I envy the halflings. Must be fun marching into inevitable death for a Lord you fear and hate.


Anyways, it's quite ironic how much I can root for a race that would most likely get rid of me in no time. without second guessing what to do. But before that, I'd make sure they feel themselves uncomfortable enough. 🤭 Place the bets, how long I'd last. Five seconds? Maybe a minute or two? Nah, they're small.
 
Anyways, it's quite ironic how much I can root for a race that would most likely get rid of me in no time. without second guessing what to do. But before that, I'd make sure they feel themselves uncomfortable enough. 🤭 Place the bets, how long I'd last. Five seconds? Maybe a minute or two? Nah, they're small.

Well, deep inside every orc is a beautiful wise elf, because evil can not create only corrupt that which is good.

473365009_585748917570268_6808474852215849265_n.jpg


Artwork by Anna Kulisz.
 
Well, deep inside every orc is a beautiful wise elf, because evil can not create only corrupt that which is good.
Depends on how you approach the word "creation". By that I mean yes, correct. Sauron and Morgoth could not create something new, but rather corrupt and transform. However, orcs were good to go and multiply later by themselves, which one could say a kind of creation too under the laws of nature, or could I say, under the laws of Iluvatar.

It's stated that they multiply "after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar", so while the first bunch may have had a history as an elf, the offsprings not. Lucky me.

Either way, I wouldn't call them 'mindless' orcs like Gimli did. I enjoyed their banter in the books, shown intelligence and intellect, even.
'Hola! Gorbag! What are you doing up here? Had enough of war already?'
'Orders, you lubber. And what are you doing, Shagrat? Tired of lurking up there? Thinking of coming down to fight?'
'Orders to you. I'm in command of this pass. So speak civil. What's your report?'
'Nothing.'
I bet you never expected an orc say 'speak civil', but here we are. 👏🙄
'...So let 'em laugh. And we've struck a bit of luck at last: got something that Lugbúrz wants.'
'Lugbúrz wants it, eh? What is it, d'you think? Elvish it looked to me, but undersized. What's the danger in a thing like that?'
'Don't know till we've had a look.'
'Oho! So they haven't told you what to expect? They don't tell us all they know, do they? Not by half. But they can make mistakes, even the Top Ones can.'
'Sh, Gorbag!' Shagrat's voice was lowered, so that even with his strangely sharpened hearing Sam could only just catch what was said.
'They may, but they've got eyes and ears everywhere; some among my lot, as like as not. But there's no doubt about it, they're troubled about something. The
Nazgûl down below are, by your account; and Lugbúrz is too. Something nearly slipped.'
'Nearly, you say!' said Gorbag.
'All right,' said Shagrat, 'but we'll talk of that later. Wait till we get to the Under-way. There's a place there where we can talk a bit, while the lads go on.'
'Whiteskins are coming. What's happened to your precious Nazgûl? Has he had another mount shot under him? Now, if you'd brought him along, that might have been useful - if these Nazgul are all they make out.'
'Is that all you know? Why don't we search them and find out? We might find something that we could use ourselves.'
'That is a very interesting remark,' sneered a voice, softer than the others but more evil. 'I may have to report that. The prisoners are NOT to be searched or plundered: those are my orders.'
'And mine too,' said the deep voice. 'Alive and as captured; no spoiling. That's my orders.'
'Not our orders!' said one of the earlier voices. 'We have come all the way from the Mines to kill, and avange our folk. I wish to kill, and then go back north.'
'Then you can wish again,' said the growling voice.
Such a polite lil' Moria glob is he. 'I wish to kill'. 🥺💚

It is also just amazing how some of them are clearly aware of the treachery of Saruman and what is going on between the two maiars, and have no trust in him. Clearly not just mindless drones under forces they obey for dear life, not having a thought on which side should be taken, and how their leaders are.
'You have spoken more than enough, Uglúk,' sneered the evil voice. 'I wonder how they would like it in Lugbúrz. They might think that Uglúk's shoulders needed relieving of a swollen head. They might ask where his strange ideas came from. Did they come from Saruman, perhaps? Who does he think he is, setting up on his own with his filthy white badges? They might agree with me, with Grishnákh their trusted messenger; and I Grishnákh say this: Saruman is a fool, and a dirty treacherous fool. But the Great Eye is on him.
'Swine is it? How do you folk like being called swine by the muckrakers of a dirty little wizard? It's orc flesh they eat, I'll warrant.'
To be honest, I like Grishnákh's way of thinking and way of speech. It's a shame we don't get more Moria orcs however, they are fun bunch. Man, I really need to re-purchase the trilogy and other books, and gather more quotes. Someone gotta' dewit! 🧌
 
Found an another pet worthy specimen. I love these high quality shots...

a70682195f214dcc73adc147ffdc4bb7.jpg


Just look at his cute face and his wet nose. Lol. 🥺
​
For a moment I thought I've seen this particular one from a far shot but they're different orcs at the end. Here, look at him being all so silly:

bf346c84f40a444d76ec31b01d315501.jpg


Oh wait, let me help. Okay the helmet is quite different here and there but hear me out...
6446343653.png

​
Honestly, at this point I feel like this topic got too much of me, but luckily this is the only one. My safe space. 🤭
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top