• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who should be nominated for Best Supporting Actor?

Who deserves an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor?

  • Ian McKellen as Gandalf the White

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Sean Astin as Samwise 'Sam' Gamgee

    Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Miranda Otto as Éowyn

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone else (please state who)

    Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Billy Boyd - Peregrin 'Pippin' Took

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Liv Tyler - Arwen Undómiel

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • John Rhys-Davies - Gimli, son of Glóin/Treebeard's voice

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dominic Monaghan - Meriadoc 'Merry' Brandybuck

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Christopher Lee - Saruman the White

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brad Dourif - Gríma Wormtongue

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Orlando Bloom - Legolas Greenleaf

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Karl Urban - Éomer

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bernard Hill - Théoden, King of Rohan

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • David Wenham - Faramir

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andy Serkis - Gollum/Sméagol

    Votes: 24 47.1%

  • Total voters
    51
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re: What is going on with this pole! No fair!

Originally posted by Lossengondiel
Exactly, my vote goes to Viggo Mortensen for actor and Miranda Otto for actress.
you are so right. viggo is a hott actor (and a good one) and miranda is a good actress.
 
I say Sean Astin as Sam because while being Sam he supports Frodo. I would also say Viggo or Orlando, but Sean.
 
Um...

Not to beat on Lord of the Rings but any nomination for supporting actor is going to have to compete with Daniel Day-Lewis in "Gangs of New York". It just shouldn't happen people! ;)

Sincerely,
The Joseph
 
I don't think any of the actors had enough time on screen to actually act enough to deserve an oscar. I mean the acting was decent from everyone...but no one really stood out. Gandalf was great in FoTR but in this one his role was way too small to get an award. Basically, I think in this movie there were too many battle shots and not enough acting...
 
This format doesn't lend itself to the type of acting that gets awards. We usually give oscars to performers who present a charater in a way that make us say to ourselves " I have felt that way but could never put it to words or actions unless I was actually feeling it". All these characters are so well know to us, that any improvisation on their part would be ridiculed as another departure from the real character as presented in the book and dismissed out of hand.

But, if any actor gets close to this, it is the gollum character. And look at the ridicule he gets from the purists.......
 
Re: Re: Re: What is going on with this pole! No fair!

Originally posted by Aragorns_girl00
you are so right. viggo is a hott actor (and a good one) and miranda is a good actress.

Exactly and I agree with you as well :) :) :)
 
Originally posted by Foe-Hammer
This format doesn't lend itself to the type of acting that gets awards.

what a freakin pee wee of a cop out :)

Originally posted by Foe-Hammer
We usually give oscars to performers who present a charater in a way that make us say to ourselves " I have felt that way but could never put it to words or actions unless I was actually feeling it".

errr, the book of the century is full of themes, TOO SUBTLE FOR SOME I GUESS

Originally posted by Foe-Hammer
All these characters are so well know to us, that any improvisation on their part would be ridiculed as another departure from the real character as presented in the book and dismissed out of hand.

THIS GUY IS A WANNABEE-FAD!


ps. that dying warg rifer did an icredible acting job :)
 
Originally posted by chrome_rocknave
I don't think any of the actors had enough time on screen to actually act enough to deserve an oscar. Basically, I think in this movie there were too many battle shots and not enough acting...
This was a THREE HOUR film! Frodo and Aragorn probably had as much time in each of their plot threads as most lead actors get in a standard 100 minuter. I know a lot of the battles were CG, but they were fronted by actors, and to act a decent battle scene does take talent.
 
On watching it the third time, I am very impressed with Sean Astin's performance, but I was MORE impressed with Bernard Hill. I only now noticed how almost every line he had was memorable and impressive and he said them all with great power. Hooray for coming out of that slim role in Titanic and getting something he could sink his teeth into!
 
Andy Serkis is walking it!

This matches another poll on this forum which asks who is the best newcomer in TTT. I wonder if they will re-define the rules or add another category so he can get an Oscar?
 
Andy Serkis! he's amazing, he put so much time into a movie and he never enven showed his face. i dont think he'll get it, i think he should, but what can we say.
 
If we regard Andy Serkis' CG 'skin' as makeup, then he should be considered for best supporting actor. If they'd been able to make a rubber outfit for him to wear that was convincing, he could be considered; so why can't he be considered when he wears a CG outfit? It was his moves and his voice.
 
In the first part that is Gandalf,but I don't think he deserves to be nominated again for best supporting act.This time I think Sean Astin should be nominated.
 
Okay, well I just gave Brad Dourif his first vote here for his performance as Grima. I voted for him because he put "spice" into the role, but it wasn't over the top. If the academy is okay with voting for someone who provided the basis for a CG character, then I don't doubt Andy Serkis will get nominated. I also have a feeling Orlando Bloom and Bernard Hill might have a chance.

I also have to agree that the film time of many of these performances may be too short to warrant an Oscar nomination, but hey, here's hoping!

I would like to have seen Karl Urban's Eomer get more screen time! Maybe he'll get more in ROTK!
 
IMO there is no contest here. Andy Serkis is a clear winner for his portrayal of Gollum. His vocalisation of Gollum and his body movement (which accounts for most of what Gollum actually does) combined with the CGI part (essentially Gollums expressions) made Gollum THE most outstanding character of TTT. He was the only character (Theoden grieving for the death of his son excepted) that genuinely moved me. I agree that the academy should view the CGI part as make-up, but I sincerely doubt that this will happen.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top