• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who was the Dunadan?

Calimehtar

The Lost Calaquendi
Joined
Aug 6, 2002
Messages
264
He was mentioned in The Fellowship of the Ring - Bilbo was looking for him so he could get help writing a song. Is he of any importance?
 
Aragorn is not "Dunedan", but rather "The Dunadan".
Dunadan is simply the singular of Dunadain.

It would be the same as calling Sean Connery "The Scot" more or less.

RD
please excuse my horrible spelling, my keyboad is dying"
 
haha; Aragorn has wwwaaayyyy too many names. And I only knew 2 or 3 before my post earlier today. I knew... Strider, Aragorn, and the name that Rohan gave him after Frodo left and he went to Rohan real quick. (I can't remember much of the details about LOTR or Sil yet. I read it about 2-3 yrs ago for the first time and I am just starting on my 2nd read. I finished the Hobbit last wk. Now I am on Book 2 of FOTR.
 
Originally posted by BilbosBane
Is he of any importance?
Yes, I'd say the King of the Reunited Realm is pretty dang important!! :D But believe me, it was quite clearly stated in the book that Aragorn = the Dúnadan. It is Sindarin (ugh, here we go again ;)) and means literally "West-man". Ok, I'll get the quote.

Bilbo:
"..I shall have to get my friend the Dúnadan to help me. Where is he?"
Suddenly Bilbo looked up. "Ah, there you are at last, Dúnadan!" he cried.
"Strider!" said Frodo. "You seem to have a lot of names."
"Well, Strider is one that I haven't heard before, anyway," said Bilbo. "What do they call him that for?"
"They call me that in Bree," said Strider laughing, "and that is how I was introduced to him."
"And why do you call him Dúnadan?" asked Frodo.
"The Dúnadan," said Bilbo. "He is often called that here. But I thought you knew enough Elvish to know dún-adan: Man of the West, Númenorean. But this is not the time for lessons!"
 
haha, i know, i am re-reading them all. And I was trying to say that i had just found it but everyone was already talking about it. I found who it was about 5 min. after i posted. It's been a long time since I read 'em all. And that was my first time, so i didnt catch everything.
 
It's not in "The New Tolkien Companion" by J.E.A. Tyler... but I wouldn't be surprised if that is faulty... still a handy reference tool. Got it for $3.50 at a used book store.
 

Today's events

Back
Top