• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Who Wore the Blue Jewels Tom Bombadil Mentioned?

Durins Bane

Fire Crotch
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
12
Ok, I'm new here and wanted help with this...

When Tom Bombadil saves Frodo and company and pulls out the treasure, he starts talking about some blue jewls that some woman wore. Who was he talking about? And later he talks about a great fortress or something. What was he talking about? I just got done with the Silmarillion and I'm about to start the lost road. Thanks for the help.
 
Though we are never told who this lady is, it is most probable that she was an Arnorian lady. There are other thread's on this, try the 'links thread' at the top of the page.
 
I would rather like to know more about this. Maybe it's one of Tolkien's unwritten stories, or maybe there's a note or two somewhere.

Anyone?
 
This has been a nagging thought for me for a long time, and I actually have an artwork planned of this Brooch. I don't think there is any more information about it anywhere, it was just a small nuance of history included by Tolkien to deepen the sense of age and time in the LotR. It certainly worked for me. :)
 
It's a back story crying out to be written. Tolkien did hope that such tales would be taken up by other writers (then dismissed the hope as 'absurd').

Here is a little ode to a forgotten lady.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for that link. It's amazing how much speculation there has been about this small thing.
 
Often the most intricate details are the most interesting. The mysterious brooch is a much an enigma as Tom himself.
 

Similar threads

Back
Top