
Originally posted by Grond
Ulari, Lost Tales 1 and 2 were hard reads for me because the Mythology was so different from what I was used to in the other works. I found the Peoples of Middle-earth, The War of the Jewels going backwards allowed me to adjust to the different setings more easily.
If you have a mailing address and can get your mom's credit card, she can order the books for you from either source. They ship internationally as I get all my Tolkien books from the U. K. instead of the U. S. (where I live) so they'll be more authentic. I have found over past years that Houghton-Mifflin doesn't pay the same attention to detail that Allen-Unwin (now merged with Harper-Collins) does.Originally posted by Ulairi
Thankyou kindly for the links Grond! But I live in Australia, the land down-under!
I think when he was resurrected in greater power and stronger form Gandalf was powerful enough to oppose Sauron, but as has already been said he was not allowed to (and I don't think he would have anyway - it wasn't just his battle to fight, but that of all the inhabitants of Middle-Earth).Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
No. Gandalf for starters wasn't allowed to fight him. The Istari weren't allowed to do it. Gandalf wasn't dstrong or powerful enough to fight Sauron. The only thing he could beat him in was being wise. Sauron would have destroyed Gandalf. Sauron along with Eonwe, Osse are the strongest of the maia. The only people that could fight sauron and win would be Eonwe and Osse and the vala. Mayb some special elves like Fingolfin and some menm like Turin. But he was a lot stronger and as Gandalf said he doesn't think he was ready or if he ever would be to confront Sauron in the palantir. The Istari weren't allowed by the vala to work in that way they couldbn't dominate others. He beat sauron with his mind. He was wiser then him and thats what brought his downfall.
Originally posted by Pontifex
I think when he was resurrected in greater power and stronger form Gandalf was powerful enough to oppose Sauron, but as has already been said he was not allowed to (and I don't think he would have anyway - it wasn't just his battle to fight, but that of all the inhabitants of Middle-Earth).
"'Dangerous!' cried Gandalf. 'And so am I, very dangerous: more dangerous than anything you will ever meet, unless you are brought alive before the seat of the Dark Lord.'"
"'I am Gandalf, Gandalf the White, but Black is mightier still.'"