• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Why is dagor dagorath not considered canon?


Thank you for this piece. I will study everything around it carefully. If it is exactly as stated, and Tolkien indeed sees a 'death' to Morgoth, it's a significant departure from his otherwise Christian theology... or he is in one of the factions of Catholicism not believing in the 'eternal nature of the soul', and what happens at 'death'.

Will be an interesting review as it diverges from my prior thinking on his position.
 
Well, if I might briefly put a stamp on it, Morgoth's spirit in not destroyed here, but I won't spoil how Tolkien handles [in this text] the Dark Lord's "comeback".

🐾
 
Reactions: Ent
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…