• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Why was 🧝Arwen dying?

I've said it many times and I will say it again.It is not a problem if something is not included in the movie(it is really impossible to include everything),but it IS a problem of things which are not part of the book are included.Like Arwen bigger role for example.
The more added things=The Worse Result!!
 
Originally posted by Celebthôl
I will make the promise that if i ever come into millions, i will make a LOTR film exactly like the book, regardless of profit not to be had ;)
Likewise, Thol! Perhaps we could put our fortunes together! :eek: :)

Gil-Galad: most of what you say is true. However, added doesn't necessarily mean bad. Take, for instance, Boromir's relationship with M&P in the movies. Brilliant!
 
Originally posted by Gil-Galad
I believe one of the reasons for making more scenes with Arwen is the commercial effect.I mean there is lack of romantic moments in the book,and you know adding love plot always makes the movie interesting
But LoTR is very romantic. The problem is people's idea of romantic. LoTR finds its romance through chivalry, passion and dedication for an ideal and steadfast heroic characters.

Aragorn is fueled to fulfill his destiny to win the heart of the love he has had when he fell for her 60+years before. Without being king, Elrond would not give Arwen up. Eowyn saw this passion in Aragorn which made her fall in love with him. The appendicis show more of Aragorn's motivation throughout LoTR, and the depths of his love for Arwen: his soul mate.

Had PJ emphasised this instead of doing the exact OPPOSITE, making Aragorn doubt his abilities and reject his heritage to the point of virtually cutting things off with Arwen, we would have seen true and deep romance, instead of the surface Hollywood idea....plus we would have seen a better movie.
 
We,those who have read LOTR find it romantic in a way,but those who have not read it don't think so.Those who have not read and watch the movie want to see the normal romantic.
I don't mind if there are some very small changes in the movie,but not big ones,like providing Lyv Taylor with bigger role...:mad: :mad: :mad:
 
Actually as a devoted and well read fan of the books I would have to say that I enjoyed PJ's expansion of Arwen's character in the first and the 2nd film. The only scene with her that I was not happy with was the dream sequence where she is wearing that filmy lavender nightdress. It just gives impressions that Arwen and Aragorn were making use of his free time to get a little more passionate and they weren't married at the point. To downplay a character's morality is really sick in my mind. Especially since the love between Arwen and Aragorn was so pure in the books.

- Ariana
 
Personally I couldn't care less if Arwen dies. I always wanted her to go across the sea anyway.;)
 
Arwen is not ill like with the flue or something like that. She is extremely tired from fighting that Nazgul and the Black Rider. I believer that in the book, she is stabed or something to that extent and PJ is taking it just a little bit further to a way that the audiance is moved with pity for her and that causes a great disturbance in the seemingly wonderful plot sequence.
 
I didn't get the last one?!
Arwen is not ill like with the flue or something like that. She is extremely tired from fighting that Nazgul and the Black Rider. I believer that in the book, she is stabed or something to that extent and PJ is taking it just a little bit further to a way that the audiance is moved with pity for her and that causes a great disturbance in the seemingly wonderful plot sequence.
When does she fight a Nagul? :confused: :rolleyes:
 
My understanding after reading the notes from PJ is that Arwen is starting to "fade" or diminish because she made the decision to choose a mortal life.
It makes no sense to me, but apparently, her diminishing process begins before she and Aragorn are wedded. Perhaps it started after she ditched the ship that would carry her to the West. It cannot have started sooner, though her decision was already made. For she passes on some of her grace to save Frodo after he was stabbed with a morgol blade, and again in the scene where Arargorn fell off the cliff.
Since PJ decided to do this, it follows that the only thing that can save her is for Aragorn to take up the sword that was broken. That is why Elrond reforges the sword, why Aragorn comes to claim it (in part).
I don't particularly like this twist, I don't remember this being in the book at all.
 
When I saw the movie, I thought" What a load of BS!!!" She is "fading" because of the shadow of Mordor or something like that. Until Sauron is destroyed, she will not get well. But I have to say, how gay is that?????
 
I watched the film and was puzzled. Arwen was indeed dying, but for some reason, according to Elrond, her fate was now tied to that of the Ring. This makes no sense to me, nor to anyone I've spoken to about it.

It could be that by dying, Elrond actually means she's mortal, and is dying like all the rest of us, albeit slowly. And by being tied to the Ring, maybe he means as all of Middle-Earth are, because it could dominate them. That doesn't seem right to me, he would be exaggerating rather extremely...
 
Arwen dying

:D

Hey guys! I didnt see the movie yet, but i found an explanation in one book i have bought!

Quote: "It is now time for Aragorn to reveal himself to the Dark Lord.....for to know that the heir of Isildur lives and walks the Earth will be a sore blow to Saurons heart....But instead Sauron offers Aargorn a terrible vision: of his beloved, pale and lifeless, reft of her Elven immortality. The Evenstar, the glittering jewel which Arwen gave to Aragorn as a token of their love, shatters. Far away, across Middle-earth, the effect of this sorcery is felt: the power of the Evenstar is broken. But to embrace a life on Middle-earth and live as a mortal with her love was the choice which Arwen had already made. Even Saurons malice cannot destroy their love."


p.s. the movie is not the book! Remember that! :mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :D
 
Gandalf White said:
Let's look at it realistically. If someone made a movie EXACTLY like the books, it would in all honesty not make money. The producer would have to be willing to give away millions, and not get anything in return.

I really, really dislike that assumption. Its too much of an easy out and doesn't give people enough credit. Sure, true adaptations might not turn out to be the blockbusters that Jackson's are, but then again, they could possibly do as good or even better. A lot of people have had enough of the standard Hollywood fare and would love something much more challenging and complex.
 
Jackson changed his mind about the Arwen character sometime either during or just after the release of the first film. He had intended her to be at Helm's Deep but edited her out (although it is possible to get a "glimpse" of her there). He wanted to make her a strong character in the beginning, hence the Arwen Warrior Princess bit in FOTR. However, I think he got a considerable amount of negative reaction from that particular depiction and so he decided to do the "love interest" bit, making her more vulnerable and developing the non-existent "conflict" with her father Elrond over her choice of Aragorn as her lover and her decision not to go into the West. Then the whole middle of TTT has that strange elvish "dream sequence" that is never fully or properly explained. It appears as if Arwen is leaving for the Grey Havens, but, of course, we know that she does no such thing!

I don't know if Jackson ever truly decided where he was going with a plot thread that he had decided to greatly overdevelop with the excuse that the audience demanded a love story! In the end, all that actually was "developed" is rampant confusion even, apparently, among the FADs and Filmists.
 
MemorableArwen said:
But instead Sauron offers Aargorn a terrible vision: of his beloved, pale and lifeless, reft of her Elven immortality.
I'm not immortal, yet I'm not lying anywhere pale and lifeless... :rolleyes: :confused: Strange, I guess there's no logical explaination to Arwen 'dying'...
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top