- Joined
- Apr 9, 2018
- Messages
- 11,362
Oh, that's interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks.
I don't have any objection to that either; especially when I thinks of people like Anna May Wong, who ended up being relegated to B movies, instead of the A's she deserved. I said something about Warner Oland in another thread; I didn’t mention that several earlier Charlie Chan movies starring Chinese actors didn't do well; that they only became popular after casting a Swede, I guess says something about societal attitudes of the time.
No more on topic than previous posts, but re your Skynet reference:
We know what Tolkien thought about the appropriation of his Shadowfax name for a hovercraft: what do you suppose he would think of this?
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-palantir-peter-thiel/
Ha. Looked at that way, maybe the name is more appropriate than I thought!
I was just checking for more about Anna May Wong; turns out one of the reasons she couldn't get lead roles in A pictures was due to the "miscegenation" rule in the Hays Code: a "white" actor could not kiss an actor in "yellow-face". So she couldn't play a romantic lead.
She's lovely!Yep.
There'sstill a ways to go, but at least things have changed somewhat.
The studios assumed for years that a superhero movie with black actors would flop.
Then came Black Panther.
I'll have to go seeking, thanks!Most definitely.
And talented.
Lots of images on line.
I agree, here's my addition - Why does Legolas look older than he becomes 60 years later?
(Sure, actors age, so I'm just nitpicking, but he just felt off aesthetically during the two movies.)
CL
Ha. Looked at that way, maybe the name is more appropriate than I thought!
I was just checking for more about Anna May Wong; turns out one of the reasons she couldn't get lead roles in A pictures was due to the "miscegenation" rule in the Hays Code: a "white" actor could not kiss an actor in "yellow-face". So she couldn't play a romantic lead.
I was going to point out that the tax wasn't the whole of it, but some of the articles in the links you provided did that for me.
I will say that the role of jazz in popular music was a bit of an anomaly, a moment in time, really, as the primal urge of jazz is toward experimentation, "progression", if you like (or don't like), whereas the tendency for audiences of popular music is toward the familiar.
Artie Shaw recorded "Begin the Beguine", had a hit, and was ready to move on, but his audience demanded it at every performance. He soon became sick of it.
In fact, this is one thing that made Glenn Miller so popular; people came to hear his songs played exactly like the records they bought, and that's what he gave them.
I even experienced a little of that myself, playing in a band out of high school: kids at dances didn't want to hear solos or changes, they wanted to hear their records being covered.
Years later, I was talking with someone at a party, asking if she'd heard this or that band, when she stunned me by irritatedly snapping "I only listen to music I've already heard!"
Popular music, like other artforms, seems to go in cycles: a new form appears, innovative and creative, is copied and exploited by followers and imitators, and finally becomes worn out, clichéd, and predictable, until new innovators come along. This happened in the example I mentioned in my previous post, but also post-war, especially in the early 50's, to which the term "pap music" was often applied. And it happened when the experimentation of the 60's became the bloated Arena Rock of the 70's. Then came the rebellion of Punk and New Wave.
I believe I have that Smithonian set, BTW. Yeah, it's pretty awful.
Rats. You made me break my promise already, Alcuin!
Beats the alternative.I wish I could say I wasn't there.
But I was.
Yeah. I'm old.
Beats the alternative.
I remember it, too. I was a small child, but I thought the antics of the teenagers were ridiculous: they looked silly even to me.
Old, indeed! Why, I remember having to catch, kill, skin, and cook our own mammoths for lunch at school. And we only had 30 minutes, and had to dodge the saber-toothed tigers. Kids have it so easy nowadays…
I'm a betweener, I was born in '96.
I don't know what the absolute heck people are doing nowadays.
I'm a young adult curmudgeon!
People my age and younger have it too easy.
CL
Like the guy whose parents had to get a court order to get him out of the house! OMG...don't even get me started on that...
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Are you happy to accept cookies and these technologies?