• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Will Tauriel play a key role in aiding the ⛏️Dwarves in the movie?

Maiden_of Harad

Diligere est Pati
Joined
Dec 19, 2012
Messages
149
...I predict that Legolas is going to help the Dwarves somehow. After all, he's a "good guy."

...But how would that explain the Gimli grudge?:*confused:

If not Legolas, then it shall be the lass Tauriel that shall "do and dare" for the Dwarves "in durance vile.":*D

We shall see. We shall see. After all, the above just might be gibberish...
 
I'm hoping Legolas' part will be no more than a cameo. He doesn't really need more than that. At least I can hope.
 
I think Legolas will be one of the elves who capture the dwarves. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a bit of a personality clash with dad Thranduil (isolationist versus philanthropist/phildwarrowist; hope you like my new word!). This might lead to him discovering Bilbo or suspecting his presence but not raising the alarm, but maybe following and watching; secretly aiding the barrels along when they get stuck, etc.

I expect there will be a scene with the elves later, when they discover that the dwarves have retaken Erebor, where Mr Bloom will have a few lines; and again at the battle of the five armies. In fact, there's a little raw footage in this video of Legolas fighting orcs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=MvF8bpowywI#!
 
I think Legolas will be one of the elves who capture the dwarves. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a bit of a personality clash with dad Thranduil (isolationist versus philanthropist/phildwarrowist; hope you like my new word!). This might lead to him discovering Bilbo or suspecting his presence but not raising the alarm, but maybe following and watching; secretly aiding the barrels along when they get stuck, etc.

I expect there will be a scene with the elves later, when they discover that the dwarves have retaken Erebor, where Mr Bloom will have a few lines; and again at the battle of the five armies. In fact, there's a little raw footage in this video of Legolas fighting orcs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=MvF8bpowywI#!
I was wondering about the potiential for a Legolas/Thranduil clash...
...Now to my other speculations!
I am REALLY WORRIED about Tauriel, as her presence could so easliy ruin the entire film, maybe the entire series.
If the Jackson crew had to add a woman, why couldn't they've invented a girlfriend for Bard (yes, I know they made him married)? At least, that would have had SOME legitimacy, as Tolkien wrote that Bard's grandson was ruling Dale in Frodo's time. So there must have been a Mrs. Bard at some point.
Beorn. Were Radagast's animals a set-up to prepare the audience for Beorn's servant animals?
One thing I am really looking forward to is Stephen Fry as the Master of Lake-Town. I've only seen him in the tv series Jeeves and Wooster, but that was more than enough to let me know that he is talented as an actor.
 
I've said that about Bard for awhile now. I think it is a frustrating loss of a chance to add a female character that does not detract from the story. I wouldn't mind female warrior extras. I just don't see why they have to invent a character to take up screen time like this.
 
New possibilities after watching the trailer: Legolas is Tauriel's love interest. The "this is not out fight" exchange between the two of them suggests that he wants to stay out of the Dwarf thing. She thinks they should get involved. I'm guessing she convinces him then dies tragically and he regrets it, hence his dislike for Dwarves which had been waning grows once more.
 
Based on the latest trailer it looks like we're getting Legolas: The Movie.

I'm sure there were a great many people who wanted this, but I wasn't one of them.

Sigh.
 
Based on the latest trailer it looks like we're getting Legolas: The Movie.

I'm sure there were a great many people who wanted this, but I wasn't one of them.

Sigh.

My first thought was "is Orlando Bloom really still big enough of a box office draw to get this much trailer time?" I honestly can't think of anything he has been in in the last five years. I mean, after Rings and Pirates there was . . . a small part in the last Musketeers movie? I didn't really dislike the guy as Legolas, but to me it seems like you want to show the parts of the movie that will make people want to see the movie and just imagine that his fan girls haven't moved on to new sources of squealing, be it Matt Smith or Vampire-Heartthrob-Dude-2.0.

My other thought was that Mr. "You'll get us all killed" near the end of the trailer is probably Bard and he is not half bad looking. Still would've preferred him as the fangirl-magnet, if there has to be one.

That said, I squealed watching the trailer when Smaug poked his head around the corner (to me the two best shots in the trailer were both "Bilbo thinks there is something bad behind him and doesn't want to turn around" shots; though the butterflies were also nice.).
 
Saw the trailer this week, and thought that it was neat. Whatever can be said against Jackson & Co., their sets are beautifully stunning, even grander than Tolkien imagined many of his places, as seen in his own illustrations (showing my non-purism):*D

I am a LITTLE less worried about Tauriel, but still, she is much more of a threat to the film than Legolas probably ever could be. And, was it just me, or was there a disturbing lack of Beorn in the trailer?
 
Saw the trailer this week, and thought that it was neat. Whatever can be said against Jackson & Co., their sets are beautifully stunning, even grander than Tolkien imagined many of his places, as seen in his own illustrations (showing my non-purism):*D

I am a LITTLE less worried about Tauriel, but still, she is much more of a threat to the film than Legolas probably ever could be. And, was it just me, or was there a disturbing lack of Beorn in the trailer?

I hope he doesn't pull a 'Tom Bombadil' on Beorn :*mad:
 
I know that Beorn is in the film. It's just that he got NO trailer time while a totally non-canonical in every way character (Tauriel) did, unless my eyes were mistaken.
 
Praise Eru! Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't think to look if he was in the cast.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top