• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Rotk Ee Dvd Will Be 5 Hours Long!

Joined
Jan 3, 2003
Messages
330
So sayeth Ian McKellan on Jonathan Ross last night (UK chat show)

and will contain:


Word is that New Line are balking at the price for another Extended Edition, and may be farming out the FX to El Cheapo American FX House Inc rather than the high-quality excesses of WETA... our scooper (Toss the Dwarf) pointed out that this is strictly rumour-mill stuff, but remember who told you first.

- This one isn’t going to come as a surprise, but for the record: we’ll be seeing Gandalf and his Power Rangers confronting Saruman after the Helm’s Deep battle, followed by the multi-coloured one falling to his death.

- Merry will pledge his allegiance to Theoden in a scene similar to the Pippin/Denethor bit. Toss points out that shots from this scene have appeared in an early ROTK teaser, as well as a *very* early LOTR teaser from way back in the beginning.

- Following his acceptance of Anduril from Elrond, Aragorn uses the Palantir to reveal himself to Sauron. Sauron shows him a vision of Arwen’s sickness. This stuff was used instead during the dream sequence just before Elrond arrives at Dunharrow in the theatrical cut.

- From the horse’s mouth: ‘Remember the scene in which the Witch King is asked what he’s going to do with Gandalf, and he says I will break him? This pays off big time in a battle between the Witch King and Gandalf as Gandalf and Pippin ride to save Faramir from the pyre. At the end of the battle, the Witch King breaks Gandalf’s staff and then the Rohirrim turn up and the Witch King gets distracted. The beginning of this confrontation is one of the $$$ shots in the ROTK trailer: the Witch King’s fell beast landing on the ramparts in front of Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax.’

- ‘We see Gamling die on the Pelennor Fields theres a quick shot of Eomer bawling in the ROTK trailer.’

- ‘In the Houses of Healing, Aragorn heals Faramir, who then meets Eowyn and they fall in love. Aww.’

- ‘A disguised Frodo and Sam join a column of marching orcs on the way to Mt Doom. Their master is a ferocious orc captain with a whip. Remember the line heard over the sweeping shot of the orcs marching down through Mordor right after the Cirith Ungol sequence? That’s him, yelling Come on you slugs!.’

- ‘The Mouth of Sauron scene changes the emphasis of the entire final battle between men and orcs at the Black Gates. In the theatrical cut, Aragorn and Co. ride up to the gates, they open, and orcs come out to fight. In the extended version, they are greeted by the Mouth of Sauron (played by the Matrix’s Train Man, Bruce Spence), who has pointy teeth and a pointy helmet that covers his eyes (he doesn't need them, see? He's just a mouth). He rides out to show the heroes Frodos mithril vest, recently stolen by the orcs at Cirith Ungol, and to let them know that Frodo is dead and the ring is on its way to Sauron. Aragorn believes him, and the heroes despair. Going into battle at the Black Gates, the heroes have no hope at all it’s their last stand for sure, and Aragorn’s line for Frodo refers to his sacrifice, not to buying time.’




from here


Michel's legacy abounds!
 
That is all that I hoped for. If all of that is true, I will be a very very pleased person! :D
 
Michel Delving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hurrah!!!!!!

RotK is already the best movie ever made, if half of this stuff is in the EE I am prepared to faint away! :cool:
 
Gandalf, my love, Michel is dead.

please see a dream

I was stunned by my brother's death and more stunned by The Return of the King. The greatest single event of my life.
 
Oh my!

*bursts out laughing*

We've missed this humor of yours! You know, the way you write almost reminds me of Lemony Snickett.
 
The EE sounds awesome! Now we just have to wait one year before it gets released!:( :rolleyes: It sounds like it follows the book very well too, I can't wait!:D
 
Wow - this is very pleasant news!

ROTK will be even BETTER then it already is!

-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Too bad we have to wait until NEXT NOVEMBER :(

You think PJ will have more time to get it out sooner now?
 
What can I say? Good would be an understatement :D I'm definitely mightily looking forward to it!

I too say FNWJR on Friday, quite an interesting discussion with Sir Ian. I switched it off after watching him and Johnny Vegas, though, I couldn't bear watching Victoria Beckham...
 
SWEEEET!!!

If this is true than I am going to take back everything I said about PJ. ( I'm serious)
 
The scene with Shelob will almost certainly be extended too. The cinema edition showed Sam carrying Sting, and shouting at the spider that he would stab her again (having not stabbed her at all yet).
 
I've just been browsing through the 'aintitcool' comments (thanks to Mr Delving), and thought this one added something to the above...
The actual shot of Saruman falling was done some time ago. Completed, but not included as the whole scene was deleted. Mouth of Sauron: The Mouth tries to play mind-games with the heroes. In fact, they do NOT believe him. The scene has a cool pay-off which I won't reveal. Then the Orcs come. Eomer does bawl in the trailer, but the person he is cradliing is NOT Gamling. Yes, there is a cool Gandalf vs Witch King confrontation. There are also some other cool things not in the released version. I don't see New Line cutting corners with the FX. These films are going to make tonne of money. Why mess it up now? No chance.
(quote edited for profanities)
 
One of the other threads on the EE states that someone saw an interview with PJ saying that the EE is only going to have half an hour of extra footage.
 
Well, the first two (Fellowship and Towers) had only 30-45 minutes of extra footage, and Return of the King might very well follow this patern of the extra 30-45 minutes, not an hour. But let's all hope for as much new sences a possible!
 
Only half an hour?

Let's hope not. I mean the scene with Saruman was said to be seven minutes long according to an interview I remember reading. And if there's also a confrontation between Gandalf and the Witch-King (which will hopefully be rather long and dramatic, oh and as far as his staff being broken I did notice while watching RotK yesterday that his staff does disappear at some point); the Houses of Healing, which will some need time if they're to show Eowyn and Faramir falling in love; and the mouth of Sauron, that's gotta be a couple minutes long at least.

Man, we'd better get more than half an hour!
 
What a great thing the EEs are. It's a shame more studios don't do things like this. There was a lot of RotK that felt edited, and as has been the case with the previous two films, I'm sure the EE will feel a lot more complete.

30 minutes or 100 minutes, at least there's extra footage to look forward to. I only hope PJ doesn't leave out material for the sake of time and DVD space. If there is 5 hours worth of footage to be shown, I hope it's all there.
 
I'm sure it will be longer than 1/2 an hour. TTT had 43 extra minutes. I believe RotK will have even more than that.

lightningstrike: We believe there may be the Mouth of Sauron, but definitely no SotS.
 
Back
Top