• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

4K debate about LOTR?

herlig9

Active Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2021
Messages
804
I have it on DVD, i recorded it in HDMI with capture card. Theatrical release. And thats what i am sticking with :)

But. Whats people's views on 4k versions? Ever since i got Terminator 2 2017 Bluray, i have now... glared at 4k with scepticism. Since James Cameron movies have bad rumors of poor preservation interms of 4K release.
Reason i didnt like Terminator 2 2017 Bluray release, is the colour contrast is wacky. Its too dim. Removes the warm colours that the original have. So its why i have ordered 2015 Lionsgate American region release. (Since its bluray and i live in Europe, i tend to use the Xreveal decryption method) with a Bluray player on PC, i can just put on subs and play it that way.

But i dont own 4K player. Just overall curious. Does Lord of the Rings look good in 4k? I dont know how Peter Jackson movies look in that is all?


edit: Or i checked youtube video to compare. And compared it with the DVD video file i recorded it from. Lets just say..
I am glad i own the Theatrical DVD release. Its like 4k said "No natural colours allowed"


YouTube 4k comparison vs The DVD theatrical release i own.
1751204178402.png
 
Last edited:
I'm not going to spend any more money on it. It has been my experience that the better tech reveals previously unnoticeable flaws. I don't think any amount of tech can make those green ants look better.
 
Last edited:
I have a 720P Sony Baloney 40" flat screen TV (bought in 2007) so it doesn't matter how hi tech a disc is, I'll never see the benefit.
However, not a few of my friends have almost the latest-and-greatest in video tech ..only maybe not 4K.
But I have noticed when we watch blueray discs (their equipment) I can see every pore in closeups, every nose hair and ear hair, and it is disgusting.
And eyes look weirdly "sparkly".
Not to mention like @herlig9 says, colors start looking "off" and not realistic.
So I have no desire to move beyond the extended version DVDs of LOTR (the ones that look like they are "books").
I only own two Blu-rays for other movies and that is because the DVD s were so badly made.
But the rest of all my movies are 90% DVD, 5% BD and 5% VHS (Yep VHS tape because the movie was never [commercially] available in DVD).
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top