• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Adunaic translation to English

Musicman1990

New Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2022
Messages
3
I know that accurate translations of Adunaic have always been very thin on the ground, but if anyone can translate the entire Ring poem into Adunaic... My little nerdy heart will praise you with great praise.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
 
Last edited:
I know that accurate translations of Adunaic have always been very thin on the ground, but if anyone can translate the entire Ring poem into Adunaic... My little nerdy heart will praise you with great praise.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Libkrîya nal Nimîr-Ârûwîyada minal-dalad,
Hazad Narîg-Bârîyada bur-dûmayu-mi,
Nidir Agan-Anâiyada a tha-ganâm,
Îr Dulgu-Bâr-ada dulgu arkhadahu-nud
Zâyan-mi an-Dulguthâni ami nâlîya khayam.
Îr lipkur a du-phazgâya katha, îr lipkur a du-khirâya,
Îr lipkur a du-ankhadâ katha ka dolgu-mi du-limâya
Zâyan-mi an-Dulguthâni ami nâlî yakhayam.


(I had to reconstruct/invent several grammar rules and to forge half the words by transforming elvish words or guessing from primitive elvish roots... due to the lack of available vocabulary / known grammar content.)
 
Last edited:
Kurônîya nal Nimîr-Ârûwîyada minal-dalad,
Hazad Narîg-Bârîyada bur-dûmayu-mi,
Nidir Agan-Anâiyada a tha-ganâm,
Îr Dulgu-Bâr-ada dulgu arkhadahu-nud
Zâyan-mi an-Dulguthâni ami nâlîya khayam.
Îr kurôn a du-phazgâya katha, îr kurôn a du-khirâya,
Îr kurôn a du-kumâya katha ka dolgu-mi du-limâya
Zâyan-mi an-Dulguthâni ami nâlî yakhayam.


(I had to reconstruct/invent several grammar rules and to forge half the words by transforming elvish words or guessing from primitive elvish roots... due to the lack of available vocabulary / known grammar content.)
I praise you with great praise.
 
Since we know the Adûnaic locative affix to be -zê, I would use zâyan-zê for "in the land".

Also, in the compound Nimîr-Ârûwîyada for *"unto Elven-kings", I would put the first element in singular form, i.e. Nimir-. The same should be applied to the translation of "dwarf" as well.

For more reconstructions of Adûnaic vocabulary, check out https://arcanaverba.neocities.org/tolkien-neo.htm.
 
Last edited:
Elhath is back!

Edit: this made more sense when I posted it. Something appears to have disappeared. Oh well.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, it keeps disappearing, though I've approved it several times. I've sent a PM to EA, so the problem should be resolved soon.
 
Since we know the Adûnaic locative affix to be -zê, I would use zâyan-zê for "in the land".

Also, in the compound Nimîr-Ârûwîyada for *"unto Elven-kings", I would put the first element in singular form, i.e. Nimir-. The same should be applied to the translation of "dwarf" as well.

For more reconstructions of Adûnaic vocabulary, check out https://arcanaverba.neocities.org/tolkien-neo.htm.
Tolkien says -zê is not a locative ending but a preposition meaning "at", which is different from "in". It could be indeed a solution to indulge an expansion of the official meaning of zê, but I preferred to forge a new preposition. As for the word Nimir, it is a noun ("Elf"), not an adjective ("Elven"). You are right regarding the fact that adûnaic adjectives are left in their singular form when they preceed the noun they relate to, but Nimir is a noun, and I wrote literally "Elves-Kings" instead. Thanks for the link, I like to use already-invented neologisms instead of forging new ones.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top