Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.
Register
I've seen jackals tho a long time ago
We were in our house in the country side
It was pretty late in the night so I just saw their eyes and their silhouettes
The city we live in is categorized as a "large city", having over 100 K inhabitants. Out apartment building is right next to one of the city forests, so we basically see squirrels - the Eurasian red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) - every day on the tree-studded lawn / meadow on the west side of the building. Red / orange is their predominant color, shading into brown, but there is a somewhat rarer black variant (think of Mirkwood in "The Hobbit"), of which I managed to snap pictures (the walnut was my bribe in hopes of its holding still long enough to take the picture):
OK, to the subject, I'll say that when I was 21, my roommate and I adopted a couple of cats: a white one we named Saruman, and a mostly black tuxedo we called Sharku. Two sides of a personality.
As far as mammals go, the squirrel is the one most likely to be sighted in daytime in Europe. Many other mammals that have migrated to cities prefer a nocturnal lifestyle for good reasons. I only now see hares at night (I'm a night-owl), and this occasion to see them and their cousins rabbits in daylight was some years ago (the rabbits disappeared a while later):
As far as mammals go, the squirrel is the one most likely to be sighted in daytime in Europe. Many other mammals that have migrated to cities prefer a nocturnal lifestyle for good reasons. I only now see hares at night (I'm a night-owl), and this occasion to see them and their cousins rabbits in daylight was some years ago (the rabbits disappeared a while later):
Speaking of which (sort of)... A friend would sometimes drive his truck into the National Forest when he left work on Friday, (our workplace being only 10 miles or so from the forest) pull of the road and park under a tree. He'had a sleeping bag with him and just liked to spend Friday night sleeping out doors in the open back of his truck, and then drive home Saturday morning.
He reported that sometimes he was awakened long before sunrise because he had parked under a tree "owned" by very territorial squirrels.
They would drop pinecones and other nuts on him in the morning, just bombard him, chattering like mad.
(They were already abed when he arrived so he wasn't aware until morning that he had invaded their home).
Practically all "wild pigs" in North America are descended from domesticated pigs imported by Europeans that escaped and returned to a wild state, and are properly called "feral pigs". The Eurasian wild boar was only imported in the late 19th century by some rich parasites wanting more varied "big-game hunting". There may have been some hybridization between feral pigs an wold boars in North America, but probably much less so than in Eurasia. The above said basically counts for Australia, too.
I think this guy was in the movies.
I took this photo a couple of months ago. Usually, moths find someplace to hide during daylight hours. This one was hanging around the front of the house all day.