• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Another "can you help me with translation" post, yeah I know

Varyar

New Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2024
Messages
2
Hello all.

I am new here although on my "studies" for a translation I always end up in this forums so I guess it's better if I ask directly.

I want to write a present for my wife and daughter and I wanted to translate "Carmen daughter of Sergio" and "Carmen daughter of Carmen" into Quenya (or Sindarin)

I used Tecendil to just "transcribe" Carmen into tengwar but wanted to go a step further so I ended up with;

Carmen: means "Chant, Song" in Latin and "Garden (of God)" in hebrew (which is, apparently the correct origin)
Sergio comes from latin and means "guardian, protector, defender"

That leaves us:
"Garden" in quenya is Tarwa
"Song" is Lírë / Lindë
"Protector" is Varno, Varyar(o), Váro, Varyando
"daughter of" would be the suffix -iel, -ien added to the parent's name if I understood correctly

So it could be something like;

Carmen, daughter of Sergio : Lírë Varyariel or Lindë Varyandiel (I couldn't come up with a "pretty" way to add the -iel for the other "protector" forms)
Carmen, daughter of Carmen: Lindë Lírëniel or Lírë Tarwaniel ( so as not to use the same form for the name since both are called the same)

Is this ok? Would I be right to use Tecendil (using the Quenya mode) to transcribe into tengwar?

Thank you all for any help
 
From Ales Bican's website Quenya Lapseparma:

CARMEL, CARMEN (f.) - Heb. 'the garden'; tarwa "garden" (from QL, maybe not valid), thus Tarwe

So we see Ales using a word from the early "QL" or Qenya Lexicon (despite his warning, although I don't see a great alternative over at Parf Edhellen at the moment, in any case), and making a feminine name. I'd think "Garden-daughter" could then be *Tarwiel, based on Tolkien's own Finwe/Finwion from Morgoth's Ring (Finwion "son of Finwe").

SERGEY (m.) - from Latin 'protector'; varya "to protect", so it might be Varyamo (mo being a masculine ending).

Using Ales' form (just 'cause), I'd say: *Tarwe Varyamiel

And maybe *Tarwe Tarwiel (I like the repetition repetition myself myself)

[seeing as we have Elerondiel *daughter of Elrond (PE 17), which I'd guess to be *Elerondo here, or Elrond as he's better known]

Anyway. No expert me. I'm no Ales Bican. . . but that's my guess. And I don't know anything about on-line transcribers. That seems like a "machine-based" thing, and I can barely post a message in a thread.

🐾
 
Last edited:
Hey, sorry for the delay, been disconnected for a couple days.

Thank you so much for the response. I certainly like Tarwe quite a bit more than I thought I would, and Tarwe Tarwiel has a ring to it :).

I'll most probably will use your recommendations on the gift.

About Tecendil... yeah I guess it's an algorithm based solution but, for what I've seen it's pretty accurate all things considered. At least it perfectly matched my original "Carmen" I transcribed by hand myself a few years ago after reading tons of material and rules about it.

Thanks again :)
 
IIRC, I've heard good things about Tecendil, it's just that I've never tried it. I probably should :)

"For Tarwe Tarwiel from Túrin Turambar" would be fun -- although I realize that wouldn't be you.

I also like the form 'cause Carmen is the same (Carmen daughter of Carmen), and that's obviously on purpose. But of course it's all up to you. I just hope our language experts agree, although they seem to be around less of late (less than usual).

In any case, have fun!

🐾
 
Back
Top