• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Please help me with transcription of my sons name

Hi @all, could you please help me with above? I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance
 
Hi. I'm no expert, but Tolkien once wrote the name Michael (in an English context) in what has been called the "Endorion Dedication".

May be a doodle of ‎text that says '‎a The diphthongs ai, ei, ui were usually written ér, 2: but writing r,? with こ above the next consonant (if any) was also frequent. ae, oe were usually written e عد e(no (no doubt under influence of the Beleriand[ic] Mode): but occasionally the final element appears as / over succeeding consonant as นน่ -Ihoer. ل_خعم いっらら n Perhael סצצבי בבן حشمر Panthael عکم کود ねえべと دلهاشمد Iorhael 17.ว Michael cap.‎'‎


So, for example, the -ael in each name is written the same way in the Elvish letters. Three names here are Sindarin of course, in which ae is a diphthong and sounds different than the ae in the English name -- that is, as an English speaker, I'd write Michael but pronounce the final sound differently than in Sindarin Perhael.

If you use Roman orthography and write the name the same way (Michael), then you and I write the name the same way, but pronounce it differently; and I'd say, but only hopefully correctly: I think you can transcribe it as Tolkien did and pronounce it as in your language.

If you want a transcription into Tengwar which pays more attention to your pronunciation of the name (as admittedly you seem to), I have my ideas, but am not confident enough to go there.

And if all or some of this is wrong. . . I was never here ;)
 
Last edited:
Hi. I'm no expert, but Tolkien once wrote the name Michael (in an English context) in what has been called the "Endorion Dedication".

May be a doodle of ‎text that says '‎a The diphthongs ai, ei, ui were usually written ér, 2: but writing r,? with こ above the next consonant (if any) was also frequent. ae, oe were usually written e عد e(no (no doubt under influence of the Beleriand[ic] Mode): but occasionally the final element appears as / over succeeding consonant as นน่ -Ihoer. ل_خعم いっらら n Perhael סצצבי בבן حشمر Panthael عکم کود ねえべと دلهاشمد Iorhael 17.ว Michael cap.‎'‎'‎a The diphthongs ai, ei, ui were usually written ér, 2: but writing r,? with こ above the next consonant (if any) was also frequent. ae, oe were usually written e عد e(no (no doubt under influence of the Beleriand[ic] Mode): but occasionally the final element appears as / over succeeding consonant as นน่ -Ihoer. ل_خعم いっらら n Perhael סצצבי בבן حشمر Panthael عکم کود ねえべと دلهاشمد Iorhael 17.ว Michael cap.‎'‎


...

And if all or some of this is wrong. . . I was never here ;)
But if it is true/ accurate it is very cool. 😉🙂
 
But if it is true/ accurate it is very cool. 😉🙂

A cool thing about Tolkien's examples is that we can see, in the Tengwar, that Sindarin Panthael is not to be pronounced with an unvoiced -th- as in English.

English has voiced and unvoiced versions of -th- of course, not forgetting the word boathouse, for instance!

Anyway, the transcriber (linked by Idril) gives a variant result compared to Tolkien's version, but right now I'd say both are acceptable when employing General Use, Orthographic Spelling for English.

In English circles, Michael is pronounced mī′kəl which of course is different from the pronunciation mîkā'ēl [who (is) like God?]. But anyway again, Valarian included the pronunciation desired, and as I say, I'm reluctant to go there. . .

. . . and may🐝 one of our experts will show up soon!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top