• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Any evil in the Fourth Age?

I feel sort of like Treebeard when I say this but. What about the Entwives? Did Tolkein ever write about them or the Ents? I have not yet read the HoME series, so I can't be entirely certain. To my knowledge there is nothing in the Silmarilion or Unfinished Tales about them, as well as the Appendicies of LOTR... Just curious, I liked them alot and found them to be very interesting.
 
In a couple of his letters (#'s 144 and 338) Tolkien says he doesn't know for sure what happened to the entwives, but he thinks they are gone. In letter 144 he says he thinks they were probably all destroyed when Sauron destroyed their gardens in the War of the Last Alliance. Tolkien, however, says he doesn't know for sure.
 
Thorondor_ said:
...like Hegel said, the fact that we don't see the spiritual beings around us is because we are blind, not that they don't exist.

I agree that we are incapable of apprehending many things. That being the case, how did he know they were there?

Barley
 
I agree that we are incapable of apprehending many things. That being the case, how did he know they were there?

Perhaps he, like many "cabbage-headed philosophers" (Nietshcze's words, not mine!) spent so much time hearing himself speak and finding enough people who liked to hear him speak began to believe in his own infalliblity. ;)
 

Today's events

Latest posts

Similar threads

Back
Top