• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Are estimates of first age armies being larger based on accurate data?

Turin_Turambar

Mormegil
Joined
Mar 25, 2021
Messages
532
Hello guys, I would like to ask you a question that has been on my mind for a long time. According to my calculations, there are 25 wars in total in the war of the ring, including a war in the movie, which is not canon. In the wars of beleriand, there are a total of 22 wars. and beleriand, where the events of the first age took place, was much smaller than the middle world of the third age. even beleriand was on average 4/3 of eriador. During the War of the Ring the human population was more than 2 million. And in First Age Beleriand there lived an average of 1.2 million elves. First Age Elves are stronger than Third Age Elves. And Balrogs and Dragons are stronger than Third Age beings. Yes, but Morgoth's infantry units like Orc werewolf troll in Third Age it was made stronger. Like the uruk-hai, wargs and olog-hais. so the infantry units of the third age villains were stronger than the first age infantry. The only difference was that the balrogs and dragons of morgoth were stronger than the mightiest villains of the third age. Despite this, Tolkien didn't give exact number data for middle-earth wars. So why are most middle-earth fans He says the armies of the first age are more numerous than the armies of the third age?
 
Bro, you're so boring.
Why are you keep asking same questions all over again?

Right after your second sentence I stopped reading... can't you realize that none on this forum (and not even Tolkien himself) could describe numbers... how long will it take until you realize that Silmarillion was actually never done...

Ahh.. I am bored.. and out.
 
how long will it take until you realize that Silmarillion was actually never done...
Thus you would subtly go against him for asking a question? There's nothing wrong in that, and neither do I intend to condemn you in any way. But he can ask if he wants.
 
There's nothing wrong in asking a question - sure.
I wholeheartedly agree to that.

But asking same questions, again, and again, and again, wouldn't that be a disrespect to all who answered earlier?
I saw these guy threads and threads, and people trying to explain him, but he just ignored everything.
You know what he did?
He created another.. same question, in some new thread.
 
Bro, you're so boring.
Why are you keep asking same questions all over again?

Right after your second sentence I stopped reading... can't you realize that none on this forum (and not even Tolkien himself) could describe numbers... how long will it take until you realize that Silmarillion was actually never done...

Ahh.. I am bored.. and out.
actually this question was different from my previous questions. i apologize if i caused any inconvenience. but on reddit and in this forum it is predicted that armies in beleriand wars outnumber armies in war of the ring. I don't understand why the armies of the wars of beleriand are estimated larger, although tolkien did not give numbers as you said.

There's nothing wrong in asking a question - sure.
I wholeheartedly agree to that.

But asking same questions, again, and again, and again, wouldn't that be a disrespect to all who answered earlier?
I saw these guy threads and threads, and people trying to explain him, but he just ignored everything.
You know what he did?
He created another.. same question, in some new thread.
No, you misunderstood me. I didn't ignore anyone's opinions. I participated in the right issues. I gave my own opinion on the wrong issues. After all, the Tolkien universe is open to argument and speculation.
 
actually this question was different from my previous questions. i apologize if i caused any inconvenience. but on reddit and in this forum it is predicted that armies in beleriand wars outnumber armies in war of the ring. I don't understand why the armies of the wars of beleriand are estimated larger, although tolkien did not give numbers as you said.
No need to apologize.. you didn't offend anyone.

Ok, first of all, I suggest you to read source material (if you already didn't).
Second of all, I'd suggest you avoid speculations from Redit.
Third of all, since you appeared and being so polite, I'll try answering your question in most polite manner..

You see.. some say that 1st age warriors are rare in number but fierce in combat.. some say they are of enormous numbers (compared to the third age).
I personally say both.
They were fierce, in combat, higher numbers, but they had enemy far worst then Sauron.
Still.. one battalion of Noldors under arms, could defeat any enemy in the third age.
Noldor rules!
 
Ok, first of all, I suggest you to read source material (if you already didn't).
I have continued to realise how little I know in terms of Tolkien lore...he knows more than me, I believe!

I remember having little sympathy for the Noldor after first reading the account of the First Kinslaying. However, now, it seems something has changed my opinion of them...
 
No need to apologize.. you didn't offend anyone.

Ok, first of all, I suggest you to read source material (if you already didn't).
Second of all, I'd suggest you avoid speculations from Redit.
Third of all, since you appeared and being so polite, I'll try answering your question in most polite manner..

You see.. some say that 1st age warriors are rare in number but fierce in combat.. some say they are of enormous numbers (compared to the third age).
I personally say both.
They were fierce, in combat, higher numbers, but they had enemy far worst then Sauron.
Still.. one battalion of Noldors under arms, could defeat any enemy in the third age.
Noldor rules!
OK, the army of the noldor can defeat the armies of the third age, but nowhere does Tolkien give an exact number of armies of the noldor or morgoth. We do not know how much difference there is between them and the third age armies.
 
Without answering anything in particular, maybe the pattern of population sizes and the might of their peoples follows the trend of age degradation in Arda: It starts off full of holy light that the gods barely know what to do with, which becomes the substance the world and its occupants are made from. As time passes, that light fades; either by erosion or things like giant lovecraftian spider abominations from outer space that suck it out en masse suddenly, and then populations decline in numbers and greatness accordingly. Hence why the elves are ditching middle earth, balrogs only exist in hiding, dragons are nearly extinct, ents are nearly extinct (and weirdly blue balled), and the remnants of the numenorean line have (I think) boiled down to single digits.

By that logic, the 4th age will be pretty damn boring, until melkor finds his way back from the void I guess (if there's even enough of him left to make anything of it)
 
Last edited:

Today's events

Back
Top