Elthir
Cat in a Coat
- Joined
- Nov 28, 2004
- Messages
- 3,943
No problem! One thing I love to note is the little detail in the revised (1950s) Fall of Gondolin:
the description of Ecthelion's spiked helm when Tuor meets him . . . which I'd say suggests that
Ecthelion was "still" going to spike his Balrog (as he does in the early version, even if certain details
of the encounter might have been changed) . . .
. . . if only JRRT had finished the thing!
But as for the famous battle with Glorfindel, in a late note Tolkien wrote: "The duel of Glorfindel and the Demon may need revision."
And as for Legolas of Mirkwood and the Moria Balrog, Tolkien once noted: "It is observable that only the Elf knows what the thing is -- and doubtless Gandalf." JRRT, letter 144
Not that Legolas of Mirkwood had necessarily ever seen one before . . . in real life I mean
the description of Ecthelion's spiked helm when Tuor meets him . . . which I'd say suggests that
Ecthelion was "still" going to spike his Balrog (as he does in the early version, even if certain details
of the encounter might have been changed) . . .
. . . if only JRRT had finished the thing!
But as for the famous battle with Glorfindel, in a late note Tolkien wrote: "The duel of Glorfindel and the Demon may need revision."
And as for Legolas of Mirkwood and the Moria Balrog, Tolkien once noted: "It is observable that only the Elf knows what the thing is -- and doubtless Gandalf." JRRT, letter 144
Not that Legolas of Mirkwood had necessarily ever seen one before . . . in real life I mean
