• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

📖👀 Chapter 9 (📔Book VI): The Grey Havens

📖👀 LOTR Reading Project

Rivendell_librarian

Active Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2018
Messages
772
A short chapter to tidy up loose ends and see how the various main characters fare in the aftermath. With Saruman and Wormtongue both dead, the war of the ring has drawn to a close. Frodo rides to Michel Delving to release the prisoners from the Lockholes: notably resistance leader Fredegar Bolger and the redoubtable Lobelia Sackville-Baggins. Frodo becomes deputy mayor for a while to help Will Whitfoot, Merry and Pippin root out the remaining ruffians and Sam sets to setting the Shire to rights. Galadriel's humble seed box gift is used to transform The Shire to a greater glory and the seed inside it grows into a beautiful Mallorn tree to replace the destroyed party tree; surely a place for parties and weddings of the future.

Sam and Frodo stay at first with the Cottons while Bag End is sorted out. Frodo suffers at certain anniversaries: the knifing on Weathertop and the destruction of the Ring. Rose Cotton nets Sam of course and they agree to live with Frodo at Bag End. Merry and Pippin live at Crickhollow in Buckland. They keep on their fine clothes whereas Frodo and Sam revert to ordinary attire with an occasional airing of their elvish cloaks. Rosie starts giving Sam regular gifts of children: no more "adventures" for Sam except the adventure of family life. Frodo continues to withdraw from active life as he hands over the nearly completed Red Book to Sam to finish. Sam is sad that Frodo has so "little honour in his own country": an obvious allusion to Jesus in the gospels.

Two years after they left Bilbo in Rivendell, Frodo and Sam retrace their steps to Woody End, and again meet Gildor with many fair Elven folk including Elrond, Galadriel (poor Celeborn - but he loves Middle Earth), who now openly show their rings. Sleepy Bilbo is with them and Sam now realises what will happen.

“‘But,’ said Sam, and tears started in his eyes, ‘I thought you were going to enjoy the Shire, too. for years and years, after all you have done.’

‘So I thought too, once. But I have been too deeply hurt, Sam. I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them. But you are my heir: all that I had and might have had I leave to you. And also you have Rose, and Elanor; and Frodo-lad will come, and Rosie-lass, and Merry, and Goldilocks, and Pippin; and perhaps more that I cannot see. Your hands and your wits will be needed everywhere. You will be the Mayor, of course, as long as you want to be, and the most famous gardener in history; and you will read things out of the Red Book, and keep alive the memory of the age that is gone, so that people will remember the Great Danger and so love their beloved land all the more. And that will keep you as busy and as happy as anyone can be, as long as your part of the Story goes on
.”

They ride on together through the Shire and arrive at The Grey Havens where Cirdan greets them and Gandalf is waiting (with Shadowfax I believe). Merry and Pippin ride up and tearful farewells are made. The ship departs and Frodo at last smells a sweet fragrance and hears singing: will he be healed in Avallone?

Sam is deeply affected and stares out to sea for a long time: he hears what the waves are saying (Dickens allusion). Sam, Merry and Pippin ride back and Merry and Pippin start singing again when they reach the Shire. Sam turns off at Bywater and finds supper ready at Bag End. "Well I'm back" he said.
 
Frodo’s dream in Tom’s house comes to pass. All the same elements from the dream are mentioned. However, this time we get “white shores” which were not in the dream (for some reason? or maybe no reason.)

Fog on the Barrow-Downs:
But either in his dreams or out of them, he could not tell which, Frodo heard a sweet singing running in his mind: a song that seemed to come like a pale light behind a grey rain-curtain, and growing stronger to turn the veil all to glass and silver, until at last it was rolled back, and a far green country opened before him under a swift sunrise.

The Grey Havens:
And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
 
'There was a big book with plain red leather covers; its tall pages were now almost filled. At the beginning there were many leaves covered with Bilbo's thin wandering hand; but most of it was written in Frodo's firm flowing script. It was divided into chapters but Chapter 80 was unfinished, and after that were some blank leaves.'

I don't recall ever considering the "Chapter 80" reference before. Counting the chapters: The Hobbit has 19. The Lord of the Rings has 62. So, that's 81 chapters from An Unexpected Party through The Grey Havens.

So, I suppose Sam's first authorial task was to finish writing The Scouring of the Shire.

Let me know if I've got this wrong. As I stated, I never really gave this any notice before.
 
A little tidbit I noticed in the chapter: The Gaffer repeats a saying we also heard near the end of another story:

The Gaffer was restored to Number Three; and he said often and did not care who heard it:
'It's an ill wind as blows nobody no good, as I always say. And All's well as ends Better!'

The Elvenking had received news...The air was filled with circling flocks, and their swift-flying messengers flew here and there..."Smaug is dead!"...
"That will be the last we hear of Thorin Oakenshield, I fear," said the king. "He would have done better to have remained my guest. It is an ill wind, all the same," he added, "that blows no one any good." For he too had not forgotten the legend of the wealth of Thror.



The Elvenking's use of the saying makes good sense to me: The news of Smaug's death carried by the birds on the wind leads to no good (the big battle).

However, I'm not sure I understand The Gaffer's use of the saying after he gets his home back. Specifically, what "ill wind" is he talking about?
 
They ride on together through the Shire and arrive at The Grey Havens where Cirdan greets them and Gandalf is waiting (with Shadowfax I believe).

Yes, with Shadowfax.

In this chapter, Tolkien added "a great grey horse" to the Revised Second Edition, and in a fair copy of the first version of the Epilogue, Sam noted that Shadowfax went in the White Ship with Gandalf.

see also JRRT's letter, dated 1965 to Miss A.P. Northey, quoted by Hammond and Scull in The Lord of the Rings, a Reader's Companion
 
A little tidbit I noticed in the chapter: The Gaffer repeats a saying we also heard near the end of another story:

The Gaffer was restored to Number Three; and he said often and did not care who heard it:
'It's an ill wind as blows nobody no good, as I always say. And All's well as ends Better!'

The Elvenking had received news...The air was filled with circling flocks, and their swift-flying messengers flew here and there..."Smaug is dead!"...
"That will be the last we hear of Thorin Oakenshield, I fear," said the king. "He would have done better to have remained my guest. It is an ill wind, all the same," he added, "that blows no one any good." For he too had not forgotten the legend of the wealth of Thror.



The Elvenking's use of the saying makes good sense to me: The news of Smaug's death carried by the birds on the wind leads to no good (the big battle).

However, I'm not sure I understand The Gaffer's use of the saying after he gets his home back. Specifically, what "ill wind" is he talking about?
Is that Great Grammarian Gaffer Gamgee using a double negative - "nobody no good" = somebody some good?
 
Back
Top