• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Christmas and Holiday Movies 🎄

So many! My kids are at the age where they love to watch the different Christmas movies with my wife and I, so we cycle through a different 1-2 each weekend (movies / screens are only a weekend thing in our home). Thus far, we've watched: Elf, The Santa Claus (1994 Tim Allen version), The Grinch (original cartoon version), Charlie Brown Christmas (a few times, actually), Muppet Christmas Carol (my all-time favorite), and maybe another 1-2 that are slipping my mind.

Still need to watch "Home Alone" (might let my 7-year-old watch with us, but not sure on that...thoughts?), "A Christmas Story," and "Christmas Vacation" (I have a feeling I'll be watching that one by myself on the airplane during our Christmas day travels, as my wife doesn't find it as funny as I do), and maybe some other random ones that may come up.

Recommendations?
 
So many! My kids are at the age where they love to watch the different Christmas movies with my wife and I, so we cycle through a different 1-2 each weekend (movies / screens are only a weekend thing in our home). Thus far, we've watched: Elf, The Santa Claus (1994 Tim Allen version), The Grinch (original cartoon version), Charlie Brown Christmas (a few times, actually), Muppet Christmas Carol (my all-time favorite), and maybe another 1-2 that are slipping my mind.

Still need to watch "Home Alone" (might let my 7-year-old watch with us, but not sure on that...thoughts?), "A Christmas Story," and "Christmas Vacation" (I have a feeling I'll be watching that one by myself on the airplane during our Christmas day travels, as my wife doesn't find it as funny as I do), and maybe some other random ones that may come up.

Recommendations?
Great choices!!

CL
 
"Christmas Vacation" (I have a feeling I'll be watching that one by myself on the airplane during our Christmas day travels, as my wife doesn't find it as funny as I do),
Same for me, this is one of my favorites and my wife doesn’t find it funny either.

My favorite Rankin Bass is The Year Without A Santa Clause. I think because the snow and heat misers were always my favorite.

My wife and I have a tradition where we make a large breakfast and stay in our PJs to watch White Christmas every year. Not as easy with little kids but we’ll do it again or order out Thai and watch at night instead this year. And then we also always watch Die Hard too.

I also recently found this interesting video on what happened to the original Rankin Bass puppets
 
An excellent Christmas film! A few others to add since they take place at Christmas and therefore are of course decidedly Christmas movies are "Hook" (still one of my wife's all-time favorite movies, and we just watched it last weekend) and "Iron Man 3."
Has anyone seen The Man Who Invented Christmas? It’s about the writing and publishing of A Christmas Carol. It stars Dan Stevens and Christopher Plummer.

CL
 
Has anyone seen The Man Who Invented Christmas? It’s about the writing and publishing of A Christmas Carol. It stars Dan Stevens and Christopher Plummer.

CL
I saw it once several years ago when it was in theaters. I don’t remember too much beyond the premise and how Charles Dickens was often visited by his own characters as he was writing the book, but I know I liked the movie.
 
I saw it once several years ago when it was in theaters. I don’t remember too much beyond the premise and how Charles Dickens was often visited by his own characters as he was writing the book, but I know I liked the movie.
That film actually inspired me to write my own Christmas story! Published a day before the release of ACC.

CL
 
Has anyone seen The Man Who Invented Christmas? It’s about the writing and publishing of A Christmas Carol. It stars Dan Stevens and Christopher Plummer.

CL
Watched if a few years ago on Christmas Day with my wife when we were just browsing whatever streaming service it was on after the kids went to bed. We both really enjoyed it, and now I want to watch it again after this reminder!
 
Has anyone see the 2022 movie (or maybe it was 2023) "The Holdovers"?
It got 7.9 on IMDB... I read the Wikipedia synopsis.... sounds worth watching.
And I've always liked Paul Giamatti; always thought he was a an actor in the mold of Alec Guinness, Johnny Depp, Michael Keaton... actors s who "disappear" in their roles.
 
🤔
edit: I only disagree on Sauron giving gifts. He would be more like "Ebenezer Scrooge" but with no redeeming qualities, of corrupting people's hearts and deceiving them. If anything Galadriel and Bilbo giving gifts is more appropriate (Even if Bilbo has his mixed moment)
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top