• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Did Eowyn ❤️ Faramir as much as Aragorn?

Eowyn: Fickle or just Practical?

  • Eowyn really did fall more in love with Faramir than with Aragorn.

    Votes: 38 79.2%
  • Eowyn was still in love with Aragorn, but she pretended love for Faramir.

    Votes: 10 20.8%

  • Total voters
    48

Athelas

Scourge of Evildoers
Joined
Nov 27, 2002
Messages
57
I just re-read ROTK again, and again it strikes me that Eowyn just too conveniently falls for Faramir. Her love for Aragorn is just a memory and she's all set. I just don't buy it. She is a woman of such passion, that to suddenly decide she wants to be a nurse and raise little Gondorlings just seems contrived. Let me see if I can break it down into a poll:
 
Well this is a tough one, but I'd say that she really did fall for Faramir, although you're right it did seem all too convenient, but she must have just realized that she couldn't contend with Arwen's hotness and went for Faramir instead of Aragorn, I guess the next best thing to marrying the King of Gondor is to marry the Steward, and it also might have just been lust for Aragorn, not love, I mean she had only just met Aragorn, how could she be in love with him already? Oh then again she had only just met Faramir too, ehh I dunno, it could go either way, but I'm voting that she really loved Faramir, although I think that there should be an option up there for it not being either one or that it could be both.;)
 
From The Steward and the King :

And Éowyn looked at Faramir long and steadily; and Faramir said: 'Do not scorn pity that is the gift of a gentle heart, Éowyn! But I do not offer you my pity. For you are a lady high and valiant and have
yourself won renown that shall not be forgotten; and you are a lady
beautiful, I deem, beyond even the words of the Elven-tongue to tell.
And I love you. Once I pitied your sorrow. But now, were you
sorrowless, without fear or any lack, were you the blissful Queen of
Gondor, still I would love you. Éowyn, do you not love me?'
Then the heart of Éowyn changed, or else at last she understood it.And suddenly her winter passed, and the sun shone on her.

Many people say that Eowyn's love for Faramir isn't true and genuine. I just don't see it that way. This is what a friend of mine said on this matter and this is my exact opinion:
I've always figured that Aragorn was what Eowyn thought she wanted - what spirited young woman wouldn't? But in Faramir she found what she then realized was the man she truly wanted and needed - the person who completed her and she then understood how Aragorn felt about Arwen.
Haven't many people had that experience in their lives? I know I have. That fascination/longing for a distant object of one's affections - it's a one-sided infatuation with an idea, not the joy of deep recognition and exchange that marks love.
 
Last edited:
I took it as Eowyn was cured after the Houses of Healing. Her illness wasnt physical (minus the Nazgul encounter), it was emotional. She was "cold" and "hard-hearted" as a result from Wormtongue's poisonous words. Her love for Aragorn and her stubborness (inculding her role as a shield-maiden) was all from this illness that Grima brought upon her. It forced her to lose her innocence, and be irrational; to Theoden it made him cowardly.

Eowyn was only in love with Aragorn because of Grimas poison, which forced her to be something she in reality was not. In the RotK (i dont feel like getting it to get a quote) but it says something about after she was cured at the Houses of Healing and fell in love with Faramir, she had no desire to go to battle anymore. This proves that she was not a Valkyrie-like person, instead she was an ordinary woman who had been almost destroyed by Grimas poisonous tongue.

But, if she wasnt "poisoned" in the first place she never would have killed the Witch King, therefore Gondor may not have been liberated. So, every evil has its good.
 
The way I've always seen it (in laymen's terms) is that ... well, Eowyn had a crush on Aragorn. She wasn't really in love with him. Then she met Faramir and really knew true love..... feel free to correct me if there is proof I am wrong that I have not seen :)
 
It has always been MO that Tolkien did not express romantic relationships very well in the LotR, and in the Sil it's only a bit better because of the 'mythological' setting. But I do think that Éowyn did actually love Faramir, despite the sudden appropriateness, and only looked up to Aragorn as a King and potential ruler.
 
Last edited:
Éowyn hero worshipped Aragorn. She saw in him first and foremost the man who could be King, the valiant hero and so forth. She saw in him a chance for glory. All the desirable things the saw in Aragorn, she mistook for romantic love, when it was more the love for a battle leader (she was after all a shield maid). When Faramir opened his heart to her, she came to realise this and was so finally able to admit her love for him.
 
I totally agree with Ithrynluin. Appears to me like a sensible interpretation gleened directly from the text.
 
There is another thing to consider in this situation, and that is Eowyn's knowledge of the interest of Grima Wormtongue. She was in close proximity to the King who was becoming more and more frail. She was, if you will, his primary care-giver. Grima was also almost constantly in the King's presence; he could not afford it to be otherwise lest someone wrest Theoden's will from his keeping. That means that day after day, Eowyn was subjected to Grima's "attentions" whether they were actually stated or not. Women know what it is like to be forced into close proximity with someone who "undresses" them with their eyes and whose every utterance may have a double meaning. Furthermore, as Grima grew in importance to Theoden, the King might not have been averse to a "match" between his trusted counsellor and his niece, especially as he had grown to mistrust Eomer. This sort of sexually charged situation can make the man/woman relationship into something ugly and degenerate in the mind of a maiden like Eowny.

Then, into this intolerable situation comes Aragorn. He is a breath of clean, fresh air: courageous, manly and courteous. No wonder the wounded, beset Eowyn casts her eyes on him as a means of fleeing her trap. After all, if he is in fact, the true King of Gondor - and she can interest him in her person - Theoden would gladly betroth her to him and move her forever beyond the reach of Grima and Theoden!

In the Houses of Healing, Grima is gone and, for all intents and purposes, so is Aragorn. The King is dead and her brother is King, so she need not fear that she will be unworthily wed. She has proven her strength and courage to even her satisfaction - after all, her name will live forever in the annals of Middle Earth as the maiden who slew the great Captain of the Nazgul. But after all that has happened, she still is "unwell"; her inner despair has not healed. The release of death has not come and the clash of arms and victory have proven less satisfactory than she had believed would be the case.

Into this "emptiness" comes Faramir. She knows his story and is drawn to his courage as she was drawn to Aragorn's. Also, he is fair of face but even more importantly, he is not "unmindful" of her as was her uncle and brother (except for their familial love, Eowyn of Rohan was still a woman and therefore of less importance than a male child would have been), nor is he "uninterested" in her as a woman as was Aragorn. Faramir is drawn to her as was Grima, but his "affection" does not fill her with rage and self-loathing. Furthermore, he treats her very much as an equal, a warrior proven in battle and worth of respect. This is new - and quite heady - for remember, Eowyn is yet very young. All of these conflicting emotions and impressions especially superimposed upon her physical suffering, would have the effect of acting very quickly and, hence, the "romance" between the future Prince of Ithilien and the Golden Lady of Rohan is born.

The situation may appear to be "convenient", but actually Tolkien does develop the matter quite fully if one is paying attention to the story as it progresses.
 
(Do you all have a thesaurus handy or did you use all of those BIG words on accident? :p)
Well, once again, someone has expressed my thoughts about ten times better than I have. *sigh* Oh well. Mrs. Maggot has done a wonderful job of explaining it... I won't steal her thunder.... ;)
 
I agree with Mrs. Maggott, but I thought Grima had poisoned her more with his words as he did with Theoden. In Theodens case he was made cowardly and old, while Eowyn was made cold and bitter, into a shield maiden who loved battle and was selfish.

At least thats how I thought of it, but once again, Tolkiens works can be interpreted in sooo many ways.
 
I agree with Mrs. Maggot, though I had never thought it out that fully.

I have been involved in a crush for the last seven years of my life without the guy taking any interest in me, so I always saw Eowyn as a literary paralell... she just got lucky and found Faramir. Not me... sigh...
 
Originally posted by HLGStrider
I agree with Mrs. Maggot, though I had never thought it out that fully.

I have been involved in a crush for the last seven years of my life without the guy taking any interest in me, so I always saw Eowyn as a literary paralell... she just got lucky and found Faramir. Not me... sigh...
And I'm sure that as soon as you find another "interest" or someone begins to show interest in you, your "unrequited love" might suddenly "discover" you. It's amazing how being "unavailable" "ups the ante" so to speak, in any situation. It think it has to do with something called "forbidden fruit". Anyway, sometimes the things we wait longest for are well worth the wait! Good luck! ;)
 
oooh... forbidden fruit...

Well, I did get asked out for the first time this week (Not Aragorn... and I really don't think he's Faramir.). Said yes after negotiating the terms and making it a group dating situation... Get to go to the Two Towers...
 
Wow! I bow to Mrs Maggot who says what I wanted to say, only so much better!
 
Last edited:
Well,that is difficult question:) .In my opinion she loved Aragorn as a protoype of a perfect man.But she didn't know him as a person.And then after Faramir met her she realized he was her destiny,because he wasn't perfect,he was a man.At the same time Aragorn was at higher level,I mean he wasn't usual man of noble origin.He was a person who had Numenorian blood in his veins and who had some of the elven wisdom in his heart and mind.
 
this is really hard!! but i don't really think she was in love with Aragorn...maybe the reputation of Aragorn and how charming he was...i mean she probably hadn't met a man like Aragorn in a while i'm guessing....and she knew she couldn't contend with Arwen anyways...but i think her loving Faramir is very good...he was a man...and grew up with the same surroundings as her...and Aragorn was way to wise and had more of an elvish influence in his heart and in his mind.....
 
Originally posted by Earendil
this is really hard!! but i don't really think she was in love with Aragorn...maybe the reputation of Aragorn and how charming he was...i mean she probably hadn't met a man like Aragorn in a while i'm guessing....and she knew she couldn't contend with Arwen anyways...but i think her loving Faramir is very good...he was a man...and grew up with the same surroundings as her...and Aragorn was way to wise and had more of an elvish influence in his heart and in his mind.....

Well, in the film I really didn't see to many "eligible" fellows hanging about Meduseld, so doubtless, the mysterious and "nice looking" warrior would have appealed to Eowyn in her obvious distress.

However, in the book, Eowyn hears Aragorn's title proclaimed before the King's door and sees in him the opportunity to escape a life that has become intolerable for her in Rohan. That is the "love" that she has for this stranger; it is not a bond of affection, but a cry for help from a young woman who feels herself "trapped" in a situation without hope or help.
 
yes exactly so all in all she did not love Aragorn for himself but because he was different and mysterious....and because of his title.....
 
Lets not also forget that Faramir was a "great" catch. If I had to have Faramir as a second choice I still would have done very well indeed! I don't think that Eowyn is taking second best by settling for Faramir. For as Faramir's father said...

"... I know you well. Ever your desire is to appear lordly and generous as a king of old, gracious, gentle. That may well befit one of the high race, if he sits in power and peace but in desparate hours gentleness may be repaid with death."

"so be it." said Faramir

Or

"For myself, " said Faramir " I would see the White Tree in flower again in the court of the kings, and the silver crown return, and Minas Tirith in Peace: Minas Arnor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves. ... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Numenor...

Or

"but fear no more! I would not take this thing [ ring], if it lay by the highway. Not were Minas Tirith falling in ruin and I alone could save her..."

Who else refused the ring? Gandalf, Aragorn, Galadriel... Faramir is up there amongst the great.

And lets not forget the priase if Samwise Gamgee..

"..But i can say this: you have an air too, sir , that reminds me of, of - well, Gandalf, of Wizards."

Faramir? doesn't sound like a poor second choice to me. I like to think it as Faramir and Eowyn were made for each other just as Aragorn and Arwen were made for each other
 

Similar threads

Back
Top