It boggles the mind the final wonderful choice Faramir makes at Hennuth Annun, not based on logic:
He whispers with Frodo as they go to the hideout, concerning Isildur's bane, and remarks how, if it gave advantage in battle, he can see how Boromir would be tempted.
and later,
And the next morning talking about taking the Pass of Cirith Ungol:
Faramir, even more than Aragorn, decides to let the fate of the people he loves go up with Frodo, Sam and Gollum, to a known awful pass called Cirith Ungol, on a hopeless errand. If anyone dropped the ball big time as far as choosing to help a few people rather than the whole free world it was him.
The most amazing quote:
What do you think?
Faramir:
I should now take you back to Minas Tirith to answer there to Denethor, and my life will justly be foreit, if I now choose a course that proves ill for my city.
He whispers with Frodo as they go to the hideout, concerning Isildur's bane, and remarks how, if it gave advantage in battle, he can see how Boromir would be tempted.
and later,
Not if I found it on the highway would I take it I said. Even if I were such a man as to desire this thing, and even though I knew not clearly what this thing was when I spoke, still I should take those words as a vow, and be held by them.
But I am not such a man. Or I am wise enough to know that there are some perils from which a man must flee.
And the next morning talking about taking the Pass of Cirith Ungol:
Frodo: 'Then what would you have me do?'
Faramir:
'I know not. Only I would not have you go to death or torment. And I do not think that Mithrandir would have chosen this way.'
'Yet since he is gone, I must take such paths as I can find. And there is no time for long searching', said Frodo.
It is a hard doom and a hopeless errand.', said Faramir.
Faramir, even more than Aragorn, decides to let the fate of the people he loves go up with Frodo, Sam and Gollum, to a known awful pass called Cirith Ungol, on a hopeless errand. If anyone dropped the ball big time as far as choosing to help a few people rather than the whole free world it was him.
The most amazing quote:
What do you think?

