Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.
Register
Haha yes. My mom is Russian and loves pickled tomatoes, which she eats like Denethor. Being pickled, they are exceptionally juicy, which just adds to the effect...
I do know some folks that roast the cloves whole... and they swear by it.
Still a whole clove is just a bit too garlicky pormoi ... but de gustibus non disputandum est.
(Yet we are agreed on the unsuitability of garlic powder/dust)
I feel sorry for you.... I mean that the pic is going to haunt you.
I myself have already "unseen" it. The garlic bulbs I still see.... they are what matters 🙂
I have to say that although that scene is pure PJ, it's actually more realistic with the way people in the middle ages were, they didn't exactly had good manners and (I can't believe I am saying this) I do give credit to PJ for that scene, he wanted to show Denethor as an evil, small man, and the contrast between Denethor eating as a pig while listening to a song while his son and others are facing death is very clear. Pippin is crying, Denethor doesn't care.
I have to say that although that scene is pure PJ, it's actually more realistic with the way people in the middle ages were, they didn't exactly had good manners and (I can't believe I am saying this) I do give credit to PJ for that scene, he wanted to show Denethor as an evil, small man, and the contrast between Denethor eating as a pig while listening to a song while his son and others are facing death is very clear. Pippin is crying, Denethor doesn't care.
Well, (1) actually it's not realistic at all, and (2) wouldn't it perhaps be more accurate to say that the aristocracy / nobility in the middle ages had different
manners from those that you, a product of 20th C upbringing, were taught?
Nor is 'different' synonymous with 'inferior.'
Just because people ate with their fingers doesn't mean they were slobs.
Go HERE and HERE .
PJ made the same uninformed, and therefore mistaken, assumptions about Mediaeval living that anyone makes who has not actually studied that era (unlike Tolkien who did study it) and he deliberately and maliciously misrepresented Denethor.
I describe it as malicious because it is intentional character assassination.
When we watch Lord of the Rings, we eat tomatoes along with Denethor, exept I don't eat them grossly. I don't know if my mother does, but it is what we do while Pippin sings.
When we watch Lord of the Rings, we eat tomatoes along with Denethor, exept I don't eat them grossly. I don't know if my mother does, but it is what we do while Pippin sings.