D
Deleted member 12094
Guest
Hisoka, your statement does not have my sympathy. Might you perhaps rephrase this a little less ... well, you know!? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Hisoka, your statement does not have my sympathy. Might you perhaps rephrase this a little less ... well, you know!?![]()
Removed by Mod
Ehhh...due to going too far from topic too much?Come on, we're discussing why Theodon prefer Eowyn to stay from the front-line of War-zone,right? Or...does it involve sexual stereotype?😅😅😅Hisoka, your statement does not have my sympathy. Might you perhaps rephrase this a little less ... well, you know!?![]()
Exactly, this is not "misogyny or gender discrimination" at all. Instead, this might be "real equality" and "factually fair" from other aspects.Removed by Mod
Anyway, the reason why males usually held authority in old societies is simple. Males are expendable, women are not - it is mother who is most important in formative years of a child, both physically (birth, breastfeeding) and psychologically. Thus it is males who were hunters and warriors. War bands were necessary for protection of society, so eventually leaders of war bands took political power, which is where you get first chiefs, then dukes and finally kings. And since war bands consisted of males, males thus took leading roles in politics (though woman would often have a lot more "unofficial" authority than is usually recognized nowadays, with our - rather stupid, not to say in(s)ane - obsession with form over function, and letter as opposed to spirit of the law. We can see this in Tolkien too, with Galadriel having apparently leading role in Lorien).
Personal experience?
Didn't think I had to point out the obvious to you Hisoka. Sorry, I wasn't taking exception with you other than the source. The initial discussion had something to do with the story in the books and was interesting. It ceased to be interesting to me a while ago and the way it is being presented with Aldarion's post which I quoted, makes the course of this discussion go way of topic and clearly brings a current attitude on women out, which for me is not on. I'm done. Have a Nice Day.Removed by Mod
Rohan's national war machine? Hisoka, you seem to take what JRRT writes and try to apply it to I don't know what (and if you happen to be trying for allegory, you should know that JRRT had very strict and narrow rules for its use, and I think he would be highly unamused by your use). "Rohan's national war machine" (which does not exist in Middle-earth) is not the first time that I have been utterly mystified about where you get anything of the sort from JRRT's writings. The only "war machines" (which by definition are aggressive and offensive) ever mentioned in Middle-earth are those of Morgoth and Sauron - or those corrupted by them, most notably the Númenóreans gone bad. The War of Wrath, the War of the Last Alliance were not "war machines" needed for the totalitarian dominance of highly unwilling "subjects" by its leaders, they were temporary efforts aiming at the necessary destruction of precisely such aggressive "war machines". WW II is perhaps the only war in history to fit this definition (and as all human endeavors it did not achieve all necessary ends, only 2/3 of what was necessary, Hitler and Tojo, but leaving Stalin - I ignore Mussolini as basically irrelevant).
Ehh…the "war machine" I mean is every organisation that affords the war. So…I don't know if there're better words to describe such concept😖😖😖. Ok, just please give me some time to get other better words😖😖😖Rohan's national war machine? Hisoka, you seem to take what JRRT writes and try to apply it to I don't know what (and if you happen to be trying for allegory, you should know that JRRT had very strict and narrow rules for its use, and I think he would be highly unamused by your use). "Rohan's national war machine" (which does not exist in Middle-earth) is not the first time that I have been utterly mystified about where you get anything of the sort from JRRT's writings. The only "war machines" (which by definition are aggressive and offensive) ever mentioned in Middle-earth are those of Morgoth and Sauron - or those corrupted by them, most notably the Númenóreans gone bad. The War of Wrath, the War of the Last Alliance were not "war machines" needed for the totalitarian dominance of highly unwilling "subjects" by its leaders, they were temporary efforts aiming at the necessary destruction of precisely such aggressive "war machines". WW II is perhaps the only war in history to fit this definition (and as all human endeavors it did not achieve all necessary ends, only 2/3 of what was necessary, Hitler and Tojo, but leaving Stalin - I ignore Mussolini as basically irrelevant).
I am more surprised each time with your ever-reiterating Byzantine stuff.
In these parts we discuss literature facts, not fanfic.
You have been challenged several times before. about your sources of that Byzantine idée-fixe of yours.
Where did JRRT confirm that???
Pls beware that, by proposing nonsense for facts in this TTF forum area, you are not only confusing prospective readers; you are also undermining the credibility of this site.
Give us your exact references where JRRT confirmed Gondor=Byzantine.