• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Fili the youngest (and oldest)

The Elvish Minstrel

Obssessed with Elves <3
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
57
This is a little mistake I've always found funny: In the Hobbit book, Thorin states that "Fili is the youngest and still has the best sight", yet in the ROTK index (in the line of Durin family tree), it states that Fili was born five years prior to Kili. Apparently, Thorin's sight isn't the only thing that has deteriorated over the years, seems his memory is going as well... xD

In Tolkien's defense, that line of Thorin's would have been VERY easy to forget about. Thus, I think of Fili as the cannon elder brother, since the Durin tree is pretty important and came afterwards.

The Hobbit movies stated Fili as the elder as well, since Thorin says to him that one day the throne will go to him.
 
Indeed, an interesting detail!
It is of no consequence for the further story though, since they both died on the same day.
 
You may well be the first to have noticed this, if judging from a list of inconsistencies which I otherwise think as quite complete: see this link. I found no reference there, to what you're reporting here.

Should you want them to forward your message: such things are *always* well received!
 
You may well be the first to have noticed this, if judging from a list of inconsistencies which I otherwise think as quite complete: see this link. I found no reference there, to what you're reporting here.

Should you want them to forward your message: such things are *always* well received!
Wow, that's pretty cool lol! How can I get them to forward it? Or do I just edit it in?! I'm kinda nervous, I don't want to mess anything up. ._.
 
Last edited:
You may want to simply send an email to an administrator there, like him.
 

Today's events

Latest posts

Similar threads

Back
Top