• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Discussion Finwians One-shot Collection discussion thread

Relief washed over Tyelkormo's face, and he grinned and hugged his middle as much as his small arms could reach.

Nolofinwë returned it, and just like that, his pain was forgotten, even if for a little while.
Tiny Telko hugs make everything better. 🥺

“Atya lies. He wants brothers. No, he needs brothers! Being a big brother is great! And Curvo also loves me like you love Atya. I think…I think he's saying that because he feels like being mean, and you're the one closest to him. I do that sometimes, but I always apologize, because I don't want Káno or Moryo to be sad because of me.”
And tiny Telko is already the Wisdomous. >_>

Findekáno did not take long to appear, small, bare feet soundless against the carpeted floor.
His eyes lit up the moment he saw him, and he bounded towards him with sweet giggles and wide arms, ready for a hug, and how could Nolofinwë deny him?
So much tiny elf cuteness in here. 🥺🥺 How do their parents survive this? 😂


Fëanáro could hide behind his fake hatred and disgust as long as he wanted, and Nolofinwë was going to keep seeking for his love, until he found it.
I love how this matches with the hide and seek theme of this story! 😮
 
But instead of all of those activities, his Atar would just disappear for the whole day and come back with red rimmed eyes and a haunted expression on his face.

Tyelkormo wanted to vanish that look from his face.

He hated whoever was that made Atar look like that. Like he carried the weight of the whole world on his shoulders.
“Mísiel? What is it, girl? Come on. We'll be late for dinner.”

His father's voice was hoarse from crying, and despite the panic, Tyelkormo felt his heart squeeze tightly in grief.
😢😞

Tyelko is so sensitive to his family's feelings. And he is very caring, even if he doesn't always show it in a way they understand.


He sniffled and hiccuped as the sobs slowed down to heaving and all the while, he could hear his father whispering in his ear what appeared to be a nursery rhyme.

“...A forest full of stars aglow,

Alive, alive, they dance below.

Winter's gone, and spring's embraced,

With love's bright light, we are encased…”
I love this. ❤️
It's also nice to see Fëanor in his caring moments with his family, even if mixed with grief and pain.


“Why…why does it hurt so much? I never knew her.”

His father's body went tense for a moment and his breath hitched, but as if he had imagined it all, any signs of discomfort were gone in a second.
I think Fëanor tensed up here because he feels the same way. He never really knew Míriel, as she died when he was very young. 🙁


Rest easy, Haruni. We'll look after Atar for you.
A very touching way to end this. And it is true that in some ways, Fëanor's sons are protective of him.
In particular, I'm thinking about the version of the story where they are the ones to discover Finwë's death and bring the news to the Valar. They didn't realise Fëanor was there too, and when he cursed Morgoth and ran from the Ring of Doom, his sons went after him, afraid he might 'slay himself' (it's unclear whether they fear it happening by accident, or on purpose, as he runs off to who knows where).
So much tragedy in this family.
 
Yet, he could not quite help his voice breaking when he explained things to Nelyo. He was forgiving. He would understand why Findo had done what he had done.

“I–I know! I love him–I love him the way he is too! But–but that's what he wanted! I– Findo just wanted to help!”

He whimpered, realizing he was starting to sound like a baby again. Even Arto didn't talk like that anymore.
Poor lil Findo. He must have gotten in trouble for things like this a few times as a kid. 😅 He's just too nice.


He heard his cousin sigh, and he almost jumped when a warm hand landed on his shoulder, squeezing it gently. He looked up and through teary eyes, he found Maitimo looking at him with a gentle smile.

“I know, dear one. I know. But sometimes what people want is not really what they need. Say, if you had a stomach ache, and you wanted more candy, am I supposed to give you more candy or some medicine to relieve you from your pain?”

Findo sniffled and wiped his eyes, pouting. While he would have said candy in a heartbeat, he knew from experience what it did to elflings when one had too much too quickly. It was never worth the pain.

“...The medicine?”

He pulled a face when he said it, and Maitimo couldn't help but laugh.
Ah Finrod... the call of the candy is always just so hard for him to resist! 😂


Tyelko's jaw was hanging open and Findo…

he was impressed. Maitimo knew his little brother so well that he also knew the only to get through his stubbornness sometimes was just to let him find the answers in his own tongue.

“Weren't you the one who convinced the rest of the murder to accept Ninquë between them? I remember you saying you told the leader how Ninquë was no different from them just because she was white. You told them to love her just the way she is because Eru had meant it for her to look like this. So why can't Eru have meant for you to look like this too? Why can't you accept that you are as much of a son of Fëanáro as the rest of us, even if you look different?”

Tyelko…he was crying again. But this time, silently. As if his mind had yet to process the information through his shock.

Findo…well, he was crying too. But just because he thought this moment was too beautiful, and it deserved some tears.

It was beautiful to think Eru had used Findo to convince Tyelko to love himself. It was beautiful that this crow who, much like Tyelko had helped her once, was the one helping him understand how perfect he was.

It was just, beautiful. Eru was beautiful.
This whole moment was my favourite part when I first read this. Findo crying because the moment is too beautiful and moving...! 🥺
And you're right, lil Findo, it really is.
 
Tiny Telko hugs make everything better. 🥺


And tiny Telko is already the Wisdomous. >_>


So much tiny elf cuteness in here. 🥺🥺 How do their parents survive this? 😂



I love how this matches with the hide and seek theme of this story! 😮
Intentional, Intentional and quite Intentional! 😏
A very touching way to end this. And it is true that in some ways, Fëanor's sons are protective of him.
In particular, I'm thinking about the version of the story where they are the ones to discover Finwë's death and bring the news to the Valar. They didn't realise Fëanor was there too, and when he cursed Morgoth and ran from the Ring of Doom, his sons went after him, afraid he might 'slay himself' (it's unclear whether they fear it happening by accident, or on purpose, as he runs off to who knows where).
So much tragedy in this family.
Exactly! I think everyone to some extent feel protective over their parents, esp if they think they might have a weak spot. And Tyelko is protector in his very soul, and Feanor is an important part of his heart.
This whole moment was my favourite part when I first read this. Findo crying because the moment is too beautiful and moving...! 🥺
And you're right, lil Findo, it really is.
That's just classic Findo.
 
He looked around, searching for the flighty creature who had been haunting him for days now. When he didn't spot those bone-white tresses flowing behind the little wildling, nor those mischievous eyes watching his every move, he finally allowed himself to relax.
I liked how you used 'bone-white' here to describe the hallucination of little Tyelko. Really gives the impression that Maglor is being haunted by long-dead ghosts.


“Boo! Got you!”

He ran towards him, and Maglor flinched before he realized what the little beast was doing. He felt his small arms struggling to hold his waist. He looked down, and watched him smile up at him.
Lil ghost Tyelko is still so cute and cuddly though. 🥺


Celegorm's eyes softened even as he pulled off the armour and cladded himself in naught but a tunic and cloak.

“Do not worry, brother mine. I shall be back before you know it.”
Oh man, the moment I read this, I knew what was about to happen. In one of your versions of events, Tyelko sneaks into Doriath ahead of the rest, trying to pass unnoticed. But he is still killed in the end, and grievously wounded from his lack of armour. 😓

Maglor knows what's about to happen too, as he's reliving the past. 🥺🙁


Maglor's toes curled into the muddied ground. He stared into those lightless eyes before opening his locked palm.

The lilac jewel shone until it felt like it would burn a hole in his hand, but he kept it in his shaky hands. He shall not lose this, until there was a neck to hold it once more.
I liked the overall idea of Maglor reliving brief flashes of his brothers' lives as he wanders the world alone. It was Tyelko this time, but maybe he sees the others in the same way. I wonder if Tyelko's pendant here is a hallucination too, or whether Maglor kept the actual pendant with him, and he just imagined the hallucination of his brother giving it to him again.

And that last line...! If Maglor does not perish in Middle-earth himself, and somehow manages to get back to Valinor, it would be really sweet and moving if he returned the jewel to the re-embodied Tyelko. 🥺
 
Me when Tyelko's ghostly Elfling self disappeared:
No Way Cat GIF


Me when Tyelko's unfortunately-not-just-ghostly head rolled down the hill:
Spongebob Squarepants Ngapa GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run


Me when Maglor looks at the remaining jewel:
Follow Me Please GIF
 

Similar threads

Back
Top