• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

For a final informative view for Khamul

More Khamul! And yes, I invite anyone to read Christopher Tolkien's full reasoning for publishing Unfinished Tales.

Also, it's due to CJRT's diligence in Unfinished Tales -- with respect to dating or chronology -- that I know there's a "rejected" passage here.

And that's important ;)
I have read the full part of the Introduction of UT. You can speak clearly :)
 
Last edited:
There are 11 page references to Khamûl in this Reader's Guide -- there are more page references to The Hunt for the Ring, but I only checked the 11, assuming H&S had done my work for me, so to speak. Anyway, these texts are largely about the movements of the Black Riders, and here there are no Tolkien-written descriptions of Khamûl being from the East, nor any epithets.

In other words, it is H&S who wrote "from the East" in their guide - and in their index "Shadow of the East" [although technically, even they do not use this epithet in the guide itself] -- presumably based on Unfinished Tales, to which they refer the reader in their first reference to Khamûl.
Hi @Elthir , I did not find the term which is “from the East” referred for Khamûl in Reader’s Guide of H&S. Are you sure or can't I find it in the book? Thanks 🙏
 
Dear HonoredRohan: I think that some of us are feeling over-Khamûlized by now (at least I do), so have some patience even as a newcomer here.

The slim information of that particular Nazgûl (a man from the East, as well as his name) comes from the Unfinished Tales, in which he is also confirmed to be "second to the Chief", with no other details given than a side note that he would have been black and particularly adept to perceive the presence of the Ring, but also the one whose power was most confused and diminished by daylight.

You can read more in Chapter 4 of the UT but expect to discover no more about his origin. Nonetheless, UT is really a delight to read; I recommend it very much.
 
Pleased to meet you HonoredRohan!
I know there is some conjecture and speculation in what is presented on the Encyclopedial of Arda, but the Khamûl entry is fairly detailed and has footnotes. It's worth a read.
I looked up there yes, I found that here “The source of the title 'Shadow of the East' is not altogether clear, though the 'East' here clearly refers to Khamûl's origins among the Easterlings.”
Dear HonoredRohan: I think that some of us are feeling over-Khamûlized by now (at least I do), so have some patience even as a newcomer here.

The slim information of that particular Nazgûl (a man from the East, as well as his name) comes from the Unfinished Tales, in which he is also confirmed to be "second to the Chief", with no other details given than a side note that he would have been black and particularly adept to perceive the presence of the Ring, but also the one whose power was most confused and diminished by daylight.

You can read more in Chapter 4 of the UT but expect to discover no more about his origin. Nonetheless, UT is really a delight to read; I recommend it very much.
I'm in the half of the book, but I have read the chapters about Khamûl because of this thread. Reading the book is really enjoyable as you said :)
 
One -- admittedly eccentric -- school of thought believes "from the East" means "The Land of the Rainbow".

nazgul_the_pink_rider.jpg
 
Page 84. And I hope you appreciate this . . looking up this Khamul reference made me miss my
flight to France.

Anyway. I have another daughter -- and maybe I can attend her wedding someday!

⏳
This is my fault, I'm sorry. Thank you so much...
 
And could you please take a photo of this page? If not it’s okay I do not have this book right now. Thanks...


Have as in "own"?

It would be awesome if you asked me the page number and didn't have access to the book :)

Anyway, I know I fool around sometimes, but this next bit is true: my old cameras no longer have "living" batteries, and I don't own a phone outside of a landline.

🐾
 
Last edited:
No need! I was "responding" -- if it could be called that -- to Elthir, not you, norrinrad. I apologize for the derailment.
 

Today's events

Similar threads

Back
Top