Tyelkormo the Fair
Elite
- Joined
- Feb 7, 2023
- Messages
- 4,985
I forget to bookmark them lol!

This is so cool!!! I love blacksmithing. Gave it a try myself several years ago at a 2-day intensive (I was influenced by the Dwarves when the Hobbit movies came out), but I wasn’t very good at it because all the protective gear was too large for me to be effective. I’d love to try it again someday with the right equipment though, and with someone who’d be willing to teach me. I also like to watch the competition show Forged in Fire, in which blacksmiths compete and have to forge all sort of different blades and weapons. It’s really interesting!
Pretty epic that you gave it a go, anyway!This is so cool!!! I love blacksmithing. Gave it a try myself several years ago at a 2-day intensive (I was influenced by the Dwarves when the Hobbit movies came out), but I wasn’t very good at it because all the protective gear was too large for me to be effective. I’d love to try it again someday with the right equipment though, and with someone who’d be willing to teach me. I also like to watch the competition show Forged in Fire, in which blacksmiths compete and have to forge all sort of different blades and weapons. It’s really interesting!
Thanks for sharing the video!
I've worked with copper sheets before,to make ornaments and such but forging something sounds really cool! I've always wanted go give jewel smithing a try but never got the opportunity. Maybe someday I the future,when I'm less busy.This is so cool!!! I love blacksmithing. Gave it a try myself several years ago at a 2-day intensive (I was influenced by the Dwarves when the Hobbit movies came out), but I wasn’t very good at it because all the protective gear was too large for me to be effective. I’d love to try it again someday with the right equipment though, and with someone who’d be willing to teach me. I also like to watch the competition show Forged in Fire, in which blacksmiths compete and have to forge all sort of different blades and weapons. It’s really interesting!
Thanks for sharing the video!
Wow, great job with your dolphin!! Very impressive, especially considering the types of wood you made it with and the fact that it was your first (and ultimately, only) semester in the class. Double-checking and asking questions as you go along always pays off. As they say in sewing (and probably many other creative endeavors), “Measure twice, cut once!” Can’t be too careful.Pretty epic that you gave it a go, anyway!
I've only done woodworking before as a subject in high school. I was a total beginner (unlike those who had done it the previous year too), but I was careful to clarify each new step with the teacher to make sure I got it right. No bandsaw mishaps occurred. 👍 The things I made turned out pretty well. I only chose the subject for a single semester and didn't pursue it any further. I was just curious and wanted to try something different.
View attachment 27980
^ My favourite one, a wooden frame with a dolphin that hangs in my room. We had a choice of what types of wood we wanted to use for the dolphin's body. The dark reddish one is jarrah (eucalyptus marginata), and the other is a tree from Indonesia (I've forgotten its name). These both happened to be very hard types of wood (cause I like making things difficult for myself apparently), so there was quite a lot of resistance when pushing them through the bandsaw to get the rough shapes of the dolphin halves.
Ooh, cool! I would think your ornaments were very unique and interesting, using copper sheets. Did you bend and cut them into shapes? Jewel smithing also sounds like it could be fascinating.I've worked with copper sheets before,to make ornaments and such but forging something sounds really cool! I've always wanted go give jewel smithing a try but never got the opportunity. Maybe someday I the future,when I'm less busy.
I'd say my talent is that I 'catch on quick'. Which can be applied to pretty much anything, as long as I'm interested in some way.Wow, great job with your dolphin!! Very impressive, especially considering the types of wood you made it with and the fact that it was your first (and ultimately, only) semester in the class. Double-checking and asking questions as you go along always pays off. As they say in sewing (and probably many other creative endeavors), “Measure twice, cut once!” Can’t be too careful.
That reminds me of the other stuff I saw in the workshop area. Some more experienced students moved onto making other things once they had finished the required projects. For example, actual furniture like chairs. There was even an entire small boat leaning upright against one of the walls. Well, not 'entire' as it was still being worked on by someone apparently (though not from my class). And a 'small' boat still reaches most of the way to the ceiling.When I tried blacksmithing, we were working with rods of metal (what type, I know not), and I ultimately walked away with a crude fire poker, a dinner bell triangle and rod to go with it, and I feel like there might have been something else. Like I said, when your gloves are way too big and you can hardly see out of your safety glasses, progress was difficult and slow, and as it was a 2-day event, I didn’t have much time. Some other students made spoons and other things too, I think.
In one of my yearly company class reunions, one of the places we had a tour of was a water-powered forge mill.I love blacksmithing. Gave it a try myself several years ago ...