• Welcome to The Tolkien Forum! Connect with fellow Tolkien enthusiasts and join a community that is over two decades old, and still going strong. We look forward to meeting you.  Register

Glorfindel or Ecthelion - who is a greater 🧝elf?

Who achieved more/is a greater Elf?

  • Glorfindel

    Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Ecthelion

    Votes: 19 37.3%
  • They are equal in achievements

    Votes: 13 25.5%

  • Total voters
    51
For long years he remained in Valinor in reunion with the Eldar that had not rebelled, and in the companionship of the Maiar...his spiritual power had been greatly enhanced by his self-sacrifice...
HoME 12; Last Writings

Near equality with the Maia is no mean feat. Thius it is probable that after re-incarnation Glorfindel was the more powerful Elf.
 
Last edited:
Don't mean to accuse but I do believe that quote is made up or in some way materialized or misquoted. Tolkein only specified by word of Mouth the details as to whether Glorfindel was one and the same. He said that he thought so which implies a yes but such was the wording of {Christopher} Tolkein pertaining questions about his works that we can enver be sure. It was never proven in a book (as far as I know). Feel free to correct me on this, please provide a source reference though. Glorfindel was, indeed a powerful Elf though after his reincarnation or Glorfindell II was a powerful Elf nevertheless. He lived partially in the mortal world and partially in the spirit world and was powerful in both.

<Later Edit>
My apologies, Melko has already quoted what I am referring to.
 
If you are refering to the quote Inderjit supplied, it is not 'made up' or 'misquoted'. Inderjit cited the book it is from (HoME 12) and the section (Last Writings).
 
Don't mean to accuse but I do believe that quote is made up or in some way materialized or misquoted.

Yeah I'm in the habit of making up quotes to back up my judgments. Get your facts right before accusing people of materializing or misquoting things.




Wrong. Glorfindel, from the beginning had been a Elf of Gondolin, re-incarnated, or at least Tolkien had pondered it for a while.

His heroic end stretches all the way back to The Lost Tales legendarium, as seen by his death in FoG. (BoLT2). We can see that in the 'Latter Annals of Beleriand' of HoME 5, which encompassed all Tolkien's pre-LoTR work on the 1st age, Glorfindel’s ends still remained:

They fell into ambush there and Glorfindel of the Golden House of Gondolin was slain

Looking at the drafts for LoTR, it is apparent that Tolkien imagined Glorfindel of Gondolin and of LoTR to be the same person.

'Glorfindel tells of his ancestry in Gondolin'
HoME 6; At Rivendell

Tolkien writes a mini-essay on Glorfindel’s re-incarnation in HoME 12. It is entitled 'Last Writings'.
 
This is an old thread that I just found....but I must say that Glorfindel is better (surprise surprise right?). Anyway...I say it because Glorfindel actually meant to kill his balrog, Ecthelion just got his spiked head stuck in THE balrog and they both ended up drowning...and the whole city fell anyway, so what good was that? Glorfindel, on the other hand, slew a balrog that allowed the refugees to get away (Turin Turambar and Elwing included, 2 of the most important figures in the Sil). Also, Glorfindel rescued/protected Frodo from the Black Riders at the ford. What more do you need? So there you have it, Glorfindel is the best!
 
Only that he saved Tuor's life.
(Turin Turambar and Elwing included, 2 of the most important figures in the Sil).
I think that you need to get your facts straightened first.
 
Turin, Tuor.....Idril, Elwing...what's the difference?! If you had only read the Sil once you would get the names confused too! Maybe not Idril and Elwing...but Turin and Tuor you would!!
And are you sure Ecthelion actually saved him? I thought Tuor had already left the city at this point...
 
And are you sure Ecthelion actually saved him? I thought Tuor had already left the city at this point...
From The Book of Lost Tales II: The Fall of Gondolin
Yes, I'm sure.
Turin, Tuor.....Idril, Elwing...what's the difference?
Then what's the difference between Ecthelion and Glorfindel.
 
Ecthelion may have been the better fighter, but Glorfindel was, by far, the coolest Elf. And Elvish coolness is 90% of how good of an elf you are, so Glorfindel totally wins. I mean, how cool is it that he died (killing a Balrog), went to Mandos, got let out (re-incarnated) and got sent beck to Middle-Earth? Then, he fought with the Nazgul (more specifically the Witch King of Angmar) and helped to drive off the Nazgul at the Ford of Bruinen. He then proceeded to fight in the many battles between the Elvish lands and the forces of Dol Guldur/Mordor. I don't know about you, but on a scale from 1! to 10!, Glorfindel gets a 362,880 (same as Legolas). Of course, he can't possibly get as good as Fingolfin (the BEST ELF EVER!!!), who's coolness rating is a full 3,628,800. Eclthelion gets a 40,320. No one can get as good as Fingolfin (aint that right, Rain-King?)

Okay, enough crazyness. Ecthelion was the better fighter, but Glorfindel was the greater Lord. They just about even out, each with a 9 (on a 1-10 scale). Legolas and Fingolfin also recieve 9's, (though they are so much cooler), and Feanor recieves a 10 (he was the greatest Elf that ever lived; and that's a fact).

Well, that's my opinion.
 
Okay....a bit strange, but whatever floats your boat. I don't see how you give Legolas such a high rating...but this is not the correct forum to discuss that. But I do agree with your thoughts on how Ecthelion is a better fighter while Glorfindel is a greater Lord.
 
From The Book of Lost Tales II: The Fall of Gondolin
I think that one of the reasons that Ecthelion is not voted more is because people, have not really read the Tale of the Fall of Gondolin in Bolt2.
 
Both were so great that it doesn't really matter who was greater. Those who loved Glorfindel or were saved by him (or someone they love was saved by him) would pick him maybe, and the same for Ecthelion.

Like many of the Noldor these were valiant and honourable elves, and they were given the opportunity to make one of the biggest sacrifices possible, and they chose to give their life for others. They could not have lived if they wouldn't have done what they done.

Let me step between a balrog and somebody else, then maybe I'll be fit to judge it?

I feel that for me to raise one above the other would be disrespectful to the other. I guess opinions change over time - and for the better!:*)

Both had achieved total greatness.
 
Silly question....

But silly questions follow the two most overblown minor subjects in Middle-earth:

Balrogs
and
Glorfindel

People seem to insist on getting anal about these two subjects ad nauseum for as long as I can remember, like:

'If Glorfindel was one of the Fellowship and the Balrog had gotten the Ring from Frodo in Moria and set himself up as a Dark Lord, would Glorfindel have been able to challenge him for the mastry of Middle-earth (at least until he met Sauron)' and then write a 3,000 word paper on the subject with nary a fact to back up their opinion gone wild. :*p
 
Well speculating off into ones own fiction can be it's own reward for the imaginative.:*D
 
10 points to Bucky for using the word nary, man I love that word!
 
Okay, without having any proof, I will have to trust to your honesty and award you five points...^^
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…