posted by ithrynluin
Well he was a Noldo and had lived in Middle-earth during Morgoth's hell raising, as opposed to the Vanyar.
Well perhaps I should have said "I think there was a reason that HE of all 'Elves who died and were eventually rehoused' was sent back" instead of saying:
I think there was a reason that HE of all Elves was sent back to Middle Earth
His fight with the Balrog was an act of sacrifice, to secure the passage for Idril, Tuor and young Eärendil. What was Ecthelion's "motive"? Was it more of a self-defensive nature than a sacrifice?
My best answer to those who ask why it was Glorfindel and not Ecthelion that was sent back to Middle-earth is just this: I don't think it is known, but why couldn't we suppose that Ecthelion might have had a reason to stay in Valinor. Maybe he had a wife or children there or for some reason was unwilling to go.
I think both might have done the same thing if in the other's position.
But we must in the end base our decisions on the published texts. For example, I know you're not too fond of Fëanor because of his deeds, but what if he did something good or what if his motives were purer than you (and I) think and we just haven't got the chance to read about them because Tolkien didn't put his thoughts into words. That's why I believe we must not use too many "what ifs" and decide on the basis of the text.
Perhaps Tolkien himself thought that Glorfindel was greater since he decided to send him back to Middle Earth and since he said:
For long years he remained in Valinor, in reunion with the Eldar who had not rebelled, and in the companionship of the
Maiar. To these he had now become almost an equal, for though he was an incarnate (to whom a bodily form not made or chosen by himself was necessary) his spiritual power had been greatly enhanced by his self-sacrifice.
Glorfindel was become even as one of the Maiar in personal power, which is saying a lot about him.
Tolkien decided to elaborate his character further in HOME XII which I suppose could be saying a lot as to why Glorfindel came back.
The quotes in italics within that quote are mine, the last one is from PoMe, the other is ithrynluin's from his earlier post.
You split my first paragraph down the middle and looked at the first part alone, where it is nearly pointless.
My point was not that he might have been chosen because only because he was a Noldo who lived in Middle-earth during the
first age, but because he was unlike other
Noldor, except maybe Ecthelion ( so I speculate) in that he was allowed into Valinor, and did not stay long in
Mandos, and that is in part because of his great deed.
There lies my answer to your new formed statement...
I think there was a reason that HE of all 'Elves who died and were eventually rehoused'
...because of the rehoused Noldor (who knows when they were rehoused???as early as was Glorfindel??) were not (according to my interpretation based on the writings in PoMe, to which you refer) just allowed back into Valinor.
You imply that Glorfinel's motive was entirely sarcrifice, but that Ecthelions might have been only self-defense.
Both warriors were in danger.
Glorfindel was among those fleeing
Gondolin and faced with a balrog... his life was in as much danger as the others.
Now Ecthelion got up wounded and saved the life of Tuor and others in the King's square, although is life too was in danger at the time.
Also, they both did great things during the Nirnaeth. But mind you, Ecthelion slew the Lord of
balrogs while seriously wounded... and (imo) that says a little more about the greatnes of the deed.
Maedhros posted: "I always thought that it was a slip of the reuse of the name Glorfindel, and the professor, instead of changing the name, made up an explanation for it."
That is also what I have thought, and though I took hell from someone for saying it, they did not change my mind.
PS: When I say that i suspect both might have done the same in the other's position, I mean that we can not be sure that Glorfindel would not have been able to take down Gothmog, or that Ecthelion could not have done wwhat Glorfindel did after he was sent back to Middle-earth.